rear leaf springs, lifted cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear leaf springs, lifted cart

My 2008 Precedent has a Jakes 6" lift. The rear single (OEM?) leaf springs at rest are straight (that is flat, no bow) is that safe? I aways believed leaf springs ought to have a bow at rest. Seems to me my springs would be at risk or vitually useless in this position. Don't want to do something unnecessary, but would a "helper" (if such a thing exists for lifted carts) be an improvement or perhaps a multileaf new spring? Or just foregt it since I am having no problems. (Also have rear seats). Bill

You have the single leaf stock spring which tends to flatten out a little with the rear seat add on. There are plenty of people that have this same scenario and have had no problems at all. If you are carrying heavy people on the back seat you may want to consider HD springs but if you're not rubbing tires on the fenders, I wouldn't worry about it.
    A word of warning, the addition of HD rear springs will make your cart ride like a truck with no one on the back.
    Some people have added a single leaf from an auto parts store to their stock spring for added height. If you add to your springs or change to HD you will also need longer bolts for the added thickness.

Comment

Thanks again Doug. I'll just leave it alone. I have only been on here four times and everytime you have guided me. Learning a lot!!! Will pm you shortly. Bill

Comment

Id stick to the single leaf unless you are carrying a full cart daily. The ride completely sucks after the HD springs.
        Regards

Comment

Hi All, new here. I have the same problem with mine. If I have people on the back, the tires rub on the fenders. I don't ride with four people all the time, but I don't like it. Should I just replace the worn springs with a new set of standard ones? I was considering heavy duty springs, but these seem to be unpopular as far as the ride. Thanks, JF

Comment

Forgot to mention, I have a 97 Club Car.

Comment

Posted earlier by jfagent View Post
              Hi All, new here. I have the same problem with mine. If I have people on the back, the tires rub on the fenders. I don't ride with four people all the time, but I don't like it. Should I just replace the worn springs with a new set of standard ones? I was considering heavy duty springs, but these seem to be unpopular as far as the ride. Thanks, JF
              HD springs will definitely make your ride more firm. I think you have a couple of options:
              1) Buy HD springs and if the ride is too rough, remove 1 leaf. You may also need shock extensions after this install.
              2) Buy new stock springs, they are bound to have more arc to them than the 14 year old ones you have now.
              3) Add another leaf to your original set from a place like Autozone, Napa etc.

Comment

Thanks for the info Doug! I will definitely try one or more of these options!

Comment

Just thought of one more thing. You could also make some 1" longer shackes at the rear of the cart, it would increase your height probably enough to stop the rub. Standard 1/4" flatbar should do the job.
                  Let us know which way you go.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X