No announcement yet.

Looking to Replace Lead Batteries with Lithium Club Car Carryall Electric 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Replace Lead Batteries with Lithium Club Car Carryall Electric 100

Would like to replace the lead batteries in my Club Car Carryall 100 (either 2019 or 2020 model)48v with the least amount of fuss. I have the delta q eric charger. What would you recommend? Would like to keep overall cost around $1500, but willing to go up if a no-brainer recommendation is the consensus. Thanks in advance all!

Almost everyone I know uses eco battery with no complaints, call delta-q and they will send you the lithium algo so you can continue using your ERIC charger, post 2014 cc does not have an OBC so no bypass needed there

Comment

For your budget of around $1500, sticking with lead acid batteries might be the most practical option. You can find some high quality Trojan batteries for less than that price range. They have a reputation for durability, potentially lasting up to 7 years with regular maintenance, such as checking water levels and keeping the batteries charged, as well as using a tender during the off season to prolong their lifespan and keeping them clean around the terminals. While lead acid batteries are a reliable option, it's worth mentioning gel lead acid batteries as an alternative. Gel batteries offer benefits such as being maintenance free and having a longer cycle life compared to traditional liquid lead acid batteries. However, they may come at a slightly higher initial cost. Gel batteries are mostly maintenance free, meaning you don't need to periodically check and refill the water levels like you would with traditional liquid batteries. This can save time and effort for the user, making gel batteries more convenient to maintain.

However, gel batteries are more sensitive to charging rates compared to traditional liquid lead acid batteries. They require a slower charging rate to prevent damage. A specialized charger or updated charger algo must be used and may come at an additional cost compared to standard chargers. Gel batteries typically have a longer cycle life compared to traditional liquid lead acid batteries. The "cycle life" refers to the number of charge-discharge cycles a battery can undergo before its capacity significantly diminishes. High quality gel batteries are designed to withstand more cycles over their lifespan, making them a durable and reliable option for long term use.

When discussing lithium batteries as an option, I'm going to highlight the potential risks associated with cheap lithium options. Investing in lithium batteries with a good Battery Management System (BMS) is key to safety and longevity. Cheap lithium batteries lack proper protection mechanisms, leading to issues such as motor lock up or even safety hazards if they're unable to handle excessive voltage during regenerative braking. As mentioned earlier, eco batteries are backed by fantastic support and are tested to work with most carts, even the Ezgo RXV which heavily relies on regen braking.

Lithium batteries provide several advantages, notably their lighter weight and longer lifespan with proper upkeep compared to traditional lead acid batteries. The lighter weight makes them more convenient for transportation and installation, reducing the overall weight of the cart. Additionally, high quality lithium batteries typically have a longer lifespan, meaning they can endure more charge-discharge cycles before needing replacement. This extended lifespan not only reduces long term maintenance costs but also provides greater reliability and longevity as the carts power source.

It's generally recommended to keep lithium batteries charged to around 50% of their capacity during the off season. This level helps preserve the battery's health and prevents long-term overcharging, which occurs when the lithium battery is stored at over 80% state of charge, leading to gradual degradation over time. In contrast, lead-acid batteries are typically recommended to be stored fully charged during extended periods of inactivity. Storing lead-acid batteries at a full charge helps prevent sulfation, a common issue that can occur when lead-acid batteries are left in a discharged state for too long.

Ultimately, while lithium batteries offer benefits like lighter weight and longer lifespan, they may exceed your budget and require careful consideration of factors like BMS quality and compatibility with your existing charger. Considering these factors, sticking with high quality lead acid batteries within your budget is likely the most practical and reliable option for your Club Car Carryall 100.

Comment

Awesome! I really don't like fooling with lead acid batteries any more. You've answered a key question - Make sure I have a battery with BMS, rather than just getting a general purpose 48v battery.

Comment

The BMS balances the charge between cells to keep them all in sync maximizing the battery's capacity and lifespan. Think of it as your battery's personal assistant constantly monitoring and optimizing its performance. While it's not absolutely necessary, having a BMS is highly recommended for lithium ion batteries as it adds an extra layer of safety and helps your battery last longer. Choose a BMS capable of handling at least double the charging amperage. For instance, if your charger delivers 10 amps, opt for a 20 amp BMS.

On the flip side, check your controller's peak output amperage under load. For example if you have a 300 amp controller, it doesn't necessarily mean your cart will pull that much current. Without knowing your cart's modifications and how you're using it it's hard to say for sure. However, if you've upgraded to larger wheels and tires than stock and have a 300 amp Alltrax controller, there's a good chance that a lithium battery with a 100 amp continuous rating might not provide enough power for your BMS to function properly. To mitigate this risk, some people manually balance their battery pack and configure a low voltage cutoff (LV) in the controller to prevent over discharge and BMS lockup.

Comment

Thanks - everything is stock. I contacted eco battery and they reco

Comment

Thanks - everything is stock. I contacted ECO and they recommended the through hole style 51.2v / 105 version - it was more than $1500, but I don't want to spend weeks figuring out how to do everything on my own. It always seems so simple on Youtube!

Comment

Thanks for the update! It's great to hear that you're making progress. Sharing your experience will undoubtedly help others navigating the internet with similar challenges. Feel free to keep us posted on how it goes, your insight can make a big difference for those searching for answers online.

Comment

Of course! OK, I've received the order. Removed the old batteries and now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to mount the battery since no mounting hardware was included in the golf cart geeks package. Additionally, even though ECO advise to use the thru hole, it's looking like I should have ordered the skinny instead. Too late to change though. Any advice on how to mount to the carryall? The battery well is is not flush (but it is shallow!) and If I put a board across the brackets, I run the risk of the battery being too tall. Thanks again for the support!

Comment

I did something similar to this on my EZGO, and trust me, I'm not exactly a DIY expert. I grabbed an L shaped metal piece from Lowe's, super easy. Just wondering if you've got enough space to mount it? Oh, and maybe shoot a quick message to ECO, see what they think. You could even send them a link to this thread for reference. Hope that helps!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X