Batteries Overserviced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries Overserviced

I've got a Remanufactured Club Car 48V with 6 x 8V batteries. I've owned it for 2 months now and when I leave the cart in the garage overnight, it deposits a small battery acid spot the size of a quarter on the concrete.

When I investigate the underside, I see water slowly accumulating along the frame from the batteries. It appears that the batteries are leaking around the filler caps.

I have two questions:

1) What is the best level for the water in the batteries? At the top of the caps? At the fins? Just above the fins?

2) It appears to me that the previous owner overserviced the batteries and I am getting spillage through the caps when I maneuver the cart. The acid is playing hell with the frame supporting the batteries. What would you guys do given this problem? Is there a way to de-service the batteries safely?

Thanks for your help.
    Updated by 96ironman; September 21, 2009, 03:30 PM.

Hello ironman, the correct water level is a quarter inch above the plates, but just barely covering the plates being the lowest possible level.

Keep an eye on that acid, clean the batteries after a charge until the acid spill slows down with baking soda/water mix to neutralize the acid so it does not eat through all the metal. Always wear safety goggles and gloves when handling batteries.
    Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X