Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Club Car Precedent Wiring Question - Lithium

I have a 2006 CC Precedent. I just replaced batteries with Lithium. I was advised to add a 48v to 12v step down. In the photos you will see I need to finish wiring. The Blue (2) coming off the #4 battery + (I hooked up currently the same as it was with regular batteries) powers the lights, turn signal and horn. You can see the wiring under the dash in 2nd photo. I am assuming the black in dash is the ground. Not sure how to test this to be correct. My question is do I connect the 12 V + (3) out to the blue (2) and can I connect the Black - (4) to to the P- (1) on the block used for the battery monitor? Thank you

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 2 photos.

In the original setup, four 12 volt batteries are wired in series with the total voltage adding up to 48 volts. However, the lights, turn signals and horn are typically designed to operate on a 12 volt system. To achieve this, most times one of the four batteries is designated to power these accessories, providing the necessary 12 volts. This setup doesn't require a OEM voltage reducer because the dedicated battery serves as a natural source of 12 volt power.

In the Club Car Precedent with the six 8 volt battery setup, it typically requires a voltage reducer like the VOLT-2003 to adjust the power from 16 volts to the necessary 12 volts for accessories. The reducer achieves this by tapping into two specific 8 volt batteries, usually #5 and #6, to regulate the voltage. However, in the original setup with four 12 volt batteries, a voltage reducer may not be equipped. This is because one of the batteries naturally provides the 12 volts required for accessories to operate safely. So, in this case, a reducer would have not been necessary.

Now with the decision to upgrade to lithium batteries, maintaining battery equalization becomes important for optimal performance. Instead of relying on just one 12v lithium battery to power the accessories, it's more efficient to install a 48 to 12 voltage reducer. This allows the load to be evenly distributed across all lithium batteries promoting balanced charging and discharging cycles.

However, I believe confusion might be arising regarding the wiring setup for a voltage reducer, particularly if the Precedent model came with a 4 battery setup. In this configuration, a 12 volt accessories may only be wired to one battery to provide the necessary 12 volts for the accessories, as opposed to the 6 battery setup where a voltage reducer is typically present in the dash to step down 16 volts to 12 volts. You've mentioned that you currently have the wiring set up the same as it was with regular batteries, and it's powering the lights, turn signal, and horn. This means that the existing wiring configuration, which likely powered these accessories with one of the 12v batteries, is still in place and functional with your new lithium batteries.

Typically the black wire with the yellow bullet connector (-) and the blue wire (+) near the batteries both coming from the wire harness are the 12v connections for the lights.

To wire a 5 wire 48v to 12v reducer for your Club Car Precedent you would typically begin by turning off the cart, putting it in tow mode and disconnecting it from power. Identify if the cart is equipped with an OEM reducer or not. Connect the main positive and negative terminals of the reducer to the primary power sources corresponding terminals of your 48v lithium battery bank. Then connect the output wires of the reducer to your 12v accessories such as lights and horn, verifying proper polarity. Locate the fifth wire on the reducer (if equipped), designated for activation via the key switch, and connect it to the appropriate terminal on the key switch. This configuration allows the reducer to activate only when the key switch is turned on minimizing battery drain when the golf cart is not in use. Finally, test the system to verify all accessories function correctly and the reducer activates and deactivates as intended with the key switch.

Comment

Thank you! I only had the main negative coming off battery #4, and the blue + off of #4. I cannot find a single wire coming off the #4 battery, that is my confusion. The block I added (#1 in the 2nd photo) has the negative of #4 going to one side B- and the Positive of #1 battery in the top of it (for the meter). It then has P- that has the - to the controller and - to the Charger connected to it. Photo #1 shows the wires coming out of the controller. I was told to bypass the OBC. Wire 1 is now going to charging port and #2 was to the battery but now to the B- on the block which connects to the P-. The other photo shows the original battery. There was not a negative wire to the battery other than the one going to the controller. So that is why i am wondering if I can hook the - from the reducer 12 V side to the P-. I am assuming the - for the accessories is coming from the controller somehow. Thank you

This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I think the 12 v ground is wired in on the 4 batt setup but someone with more experience can answer for sure, you can check for (-12v) on the 9 pin light connector behind the dash for now though see pic

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

That helps thank you. I could just run a wire from the negative on the 12v- side of reducer to the dash and attach to the black negative wire. Maybe trace where it leaves dash and heads back to the battery compartment. It seems like it is somehow grounded in the controller box. Thank you

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X