Battery or charger problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery or charger problem?

I have a 2001 Club Car,48 volt.I just replaced my old Trojan batts. with new Trolans,12 v0lt of course.The charger worked fine with the old batteries but when I plugged the charger in to recharge the new ones the needle jumped over well past 15,almost out of sight,hummed for about 5 minutes or so and the circuit breaker,located on the front of the charger,tripped.Tried twice,same thing both times so I have no idea whether it is a charger or batterie problem.Any advice,suggestions,or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi john, did you put 4 12 volt batteries instead of 6 8 volt batteries?
    Regards

Comment

No,I put six 12 volts in.Didn't actually put them in myself.The shop I bought them from put them in.

Comment

Correction on the last post Matti.Should have said six 8 volt batteries.

Comment

My apologies Matti if you scratching your head wondreing if i know what i am talking about.I just noticed that i said 12 volt in my original post.The cart uses six 8 volt batts.

Comment

oook that sounds better.

The problem happened right after the battery switch, am I right?

So check the connections, make sure they are on correct, make sure they are clean. If all checks out on that, your problem could be in that breaker.
            Regards

Comment

Right Matti,it happened right after battery switch.I will check the connections first thing in the morning.Thanks

Comment

Should have said that the cart ran great after the switch until it was time for a recharge.From that i assume that the connections are correct.

Comment

Okay, all seems to be pointing to that breaker in the charger. That would be the next step I would choose.
                  Regards

Comment

Good morning everyone - first timer on this site!

I'm having the same issue, just installed 4 new 12V batteries in our 2001 Club Car. Everything was fine for the first 4 or 5 charges and not the breaker seems to be popping on the front of the charger. Does going from six 8volt batteries to four 12v change anything for the charging system? I was told I would only loose a small amount of duration.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Comment

Hi Steve Generally when the circuit breaker pops in the first few seconds of plugging in its the Diode's or Rectifier pack that's bad. If the circuit breaker is popped too many times then it should be replaced also.
                      Updated by gaminde; April 20, 2012, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I changed the batteries about 3 weeks ago, no problems charging until last night. I will look into replacing the breaker.

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

You did not see the diode part that's most likely your problem

Comment

You are correct, I missed that. So the diode is inside the charger or on the cart?

Comment

Inside the charger

Comment

Awesone, thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Once you get your charger open Post a picture of the inside I will be able to tell you what to do at that point. There are 2 different diodes used in the chargers.

Comment

I have 6 Trojan 105 Mileage Master batteries in my Club Car. At least 10 years old. Can they be re-energized or must I replace them? They last only 35 minutes before charging.

Comment

Maybe

NO

Comment

Gaminde,

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the inside of the charger, hope this will help. Also, the charge needle on the display pegs out beyond the 15 amp mark and stays there until the breaker pops. This seems to take around 10 minutes.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Ok 10 min is a different story, some possibilities you have the batteries hooked up incorrectly, one or more bad batterys, or there in a low discharge state or maybe a bad diode.

with a volt meter read the voltage of the battery pack then read the voltage of the pack again with the charger running give me the voltage readings.

Comment

OK, I will have to do this tomorrow. The cart drove and charged fine for 2 weeks after the battery installation.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have a similar issue. New batteries and when you plug the charger in...the meter pegs out! The Batteries have 52+ volts. I took another charger that works fine on another cart and the same thing - pegged out the meter.

Comment

Try an OBC Reset and check the hookup for the red and black wires off the charge receptacle.

Comment

Posted earlier by fishinbound View Post
                                                  I have a similar issue. New batteries and when you plug the charger in...the meter pegs out! The Batteries have 52+ volts. I took another charger that works fine on another cart and the same thing - pegged out the meter.
                                                  is this voltage reading with the charger running or off.

Comment

Posted earlier by Levi Garrett View Post
                                                    Gaminde,

Here are a couple of pictures I took of the inside of the charger, hope this will help. Also, the charge needle on the display pegs out beyond the 15 amp mark and stays there until the breaker pops. This seems to take around 10 minutes.
                                                    Both of you just might have a bad breaker your only pulling about 8 amps off the primary of the chargers so a 15 amp breaker should work just fine. The breakers are cheep look on my site under parts and order one maybe $5.00

Comment

I tried the OBC reset, but it did not make the reverse buzzer sound off. I still went through the motions. I have 52.1 volts with the charger not hooked up. Both Club Car chargers max the amp meter out and only come down to 14-15 after 20 minutes. they do not pop the fuse, they just keep charging. These are 3 month old batteries and were charging just fine up till last week.
                                                      96 48v CC DS - the one without the V-GLide
                                                      Updated by fishinbound; April 27, 2012, 05:11 AM.

Comment

You need to let the charger run the voltage can get as high as 63 volts when charging and after turning off wait about 5 hours or longer the voltage should drop down to 51 volts.

Comment

Gaminde,

Sorry for the delay, I was locked out because I couldn't get my password right....

I plugged the charger into a different outlet in my garage and it cycled through the charge with no problem. The outlet I was using also has the controller for our Invisible Fence. Not sure if that was causing a problem, but it seems to be fine now. The batteries were at 48.1 volts before I plugged in the charger, then they moved up to 55 volts.

I hope it was just the outlet.

Thanks again for your help and this forum!

Comment

That's good news

in a couple of days move it back to the other circuit and lets see if that elect fence is the culprit.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                            X