Precedent 07 died on fairway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precedent 07 died on fairway

New to this forum but looks like there is some really sharp people to help out.
    Here is my problem. Replaced all 4 48 volts battery 6 weeks ago. Cart ran great until it just died, no indication of week speed or yellow light coming on.
    The yellow light went on,was able to hear back up buzzer. Towed it ( Tow mode switch on )to the barn, plugged it in,hardly showed display on charger.
    checked voltages, 3 \batteries around 12.6 volts, one 10.4 volts.
    individually charged all 4 batteries, peculiar thing is that the 12.6 batteries showed almost dead on car charger, got 13.1 when charged. hooked everything back up. threw tow mode off,hit reverse, sound went on,turned key to on,hit pedal,yellow light went on and did not move.
    read batteries ,3 at 12.6-13.1 one at 10.4. cells reading at 1.1 gravity.
    Could this be a bad battery? It will not let me use the cart battery charger as it will not come on. I know that there is a low battery level where the charger will not come on, but i am getting 49.4 volts across, tat is about a65% charge
    Any help would be appreciated.
    i did not try to reset the OBC as the reverse buzzer is not sounding.
    Thank you in advance.
    Marc
    Updated by mnantel; July 16, 2012, 08:19 PM.

Marc;
    Welcome to the GCF site!!!
    I would recommend that you pull the suspect battery and take it back to who you purchased it from for replacement. Make them proove to you that it will pass the load text and hold a charge equal to the other three. I have also added a couple of items from the service manual that i hope will explain some of your testing concerns.

EARLY EXCESSIVE DISCHARGING
    When vehicle batteries are new, they do not reach their full capacity until they have been used and recharged
    20 to 50 times. If they are excessively discharged early in their life, their effective service life will be shortened.
    It is advisable to limit the use of any vehicle with new batteries for at least the first four weeks and then gradually
    increase their range.
    Battery Warning Light Assembly
    The dash-mounted battery warning light performs two functions for the vehicle’s electrical system:
    Warning Light: The battery warning light alerts the operator to any problems with the batteries or charging
    system. The battery warning light will illuminate under the following conditions:
    1. Battery no-load voltage drops below 48 volts.
    2. Batteries have discharged more than 75% of rated capacity.
    3. AC power is interrupted during the charge cycle (DC plug is still connected).
    4. Charge cycle times out at 16 hours.
    5. When the DC cord is unplugged before the charge cycle is completed, the battery warning light will illuminate
    for 10 seconds if the charge is less than 90% complete.

Comment

Thank you Keith.
      I was planning on bringing the battery back tomorrow. I do not comprehend why the cart won't go at all . I had battery issues, but mainly due to age (5) where there would be power loss. This just died,period. I will start by having the battery tested. I had only used it 4-6 holes before it happenned. Would 49.4 volts across keep it from having any life? No back up alarm,no battery warning light?
      Thank You

Comment

Posted earlier by mnantel View Post
        Thank you Keith.
        I was planning on bringing the battery back tomorrow. I do not comprehend why the cart won't go at all . I had battery issues, but mainly due to age (5) where there would be power loss. This just died,period. I will start by having the battery tested. I had only used it 4-6 holes before it happenned. Would 49.4 volts across keep it from having any life? No back up alarm,no battery warning light?
        Thank You
        Even though your pack is showing 49.4v at rest, under a load the one defective battery is dragging the whole pack down and thats all it takes for your cart to not move.
        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Marc;
          Based on the testing numbers you listed for three of the batteries plus adding in a 10.4 volt battery it is feasable to get a "NO LOAD" reading of 49.4 volts. However, as soon as you turn on the key and step on the accelerator you are now putting a circuit load on the battery pack and the "under load" voltage is dropping below 48 volts and that is why the battery warning light is comming on and the cart won't run. Remember, our 48-volt CC electrical system is considered "dead" if the "under load" voltage dropes below 48-volts.
          I've also added a battery state of charge chart for you to review. You'll notice that a battery testing 10.4 volts isn't on the list. Your battery is "toast".
          Please post a follow-up thread to let us know what happens when you replace the battery. Thanks..........Keith
          Attached Files

Comment

great response Keith and Erict.
            will let you know how it works out.
            turns out that one of my neighbor replaced one of his 8 volt battery with the same brand that I have and is reading 7 volts on his battery. I may bring another battery for testing as the gravity readings seem low.
            Thank you for the help
            Marc

Comment

Posted earlier by mnantel View Post
              great response Keith and Erict.
              will let you know how it works out.
              turns out that one of my neighbor replaced one of his 8 volt battery with the same brand that I have and is reading 7 volts on his battery. I may bring another battery for testing as the gravity readings seem low.
              Thank you for the help
              Marc

Unfortunately even new batteries can go bad. What brand of batteries do you have?
              2005 CC Precedent

Comment

precedent 07 died on fairway ( FIXED)

I went to the dealer, had the battery checked out an dit had a bad cell.
                Got new battery home,put on charger fore the rest of the day. Put it in Run mode around 5pm and went and did 9 holes without any problems.Came back and my baby is on the charger again for the night.
                the batteries are US Battery. so 3 out of 4 is not bad?
                my neighbor had to replace one of his 8v due to a bad cell on 1 year old private label battery. the delaer replaced it with a US Battry that failed within one month. Mine failed within 2 months. I am keeping a close watch on all the batteries for a while.
                so fopr now, all is fixed.
                Looking forward to purchasing a speed increaser from gaminde.
                thank you everyone
                Marc
                Updated by mnantel; July 16, 2012, 08:18 PM. Reason: fixed

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X