Motor Coupling Install Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Coupling Install Question

Ya know, sometimes when I ain't sure what I am in for, I just buy a new part and when I look it over, I can sorta tell how to do a replacement (and sometimes I get fooled.......ever done that?) This is one of "those times".

I have quieted my drive train down a lot by putting in new lube (with about 20% STP .... as suggested by another forum member) but I thought a new coupling might be in order as well. I bought one (see pics) and find that it evidently needs to be pressed on or perhaps it is even a "shrink" fit? (No keyway, no setscrew, etc) At any rate methinks it may be beyond my hobby-shop-type garage capability. It is for the std 3HP GE motor on my 05 Precedent.

Anyone put one of these guys on? If so, what's involved?

Thanks, Ed S in TX
    Attached Files

I think you are going to need a press. I guess if you could heat it up enough that would work also.

Comment

Thanks, Andy-

I suspected as much. I will be up in the Denver area next month, so I called a dealer there, explained my dilemma; and asked if he would mind installing the coupling if I just bring the whole motor to him. They basically said "bring it on" ...... so I plan to go that route. It must be a pretty tight fit to hold the lock-down torque on a 3HP with only friction.

If the new coupling lessens the differential whine noticeably, I will re-post for the benefit of others on the forum.

ed s in TX

ed s in TX

Comment

i've yet to install one myself... but you can weld a nut on the end of the coupler and use a bolt to pull the old coupler off. heat will likely help.

lack of a chamfer on the rear of the coupler leads me to think that it is installed by thermal expansion or with a retaining compound like loctite 638 vs a press, but i could be wrong.

im interested to know how they end up doing it... also, where did you purchase the coupler? cheers!
        -sj

Comment

Sorry for the late response....I haven't visited the forum in a while (obviously). I will sure get back to you on the method used by the dealer up there in Denver. I leave for the area on April 1st and return about 2 weeks later, so I will post about then....maybe after I get the motor reinstalled and take a ride to see if I notice much improvement in the "whine". I also want to check with them about the splined rubber "bumper" for GE motors that I see in the online catalog below. I'm sure I will want to install that new also......just hadn't noticed it before.

I bought the coupler online at http://easttexasgolfcars.com/
          It is their item number 7136. The actual catalog page is at:
          http://www.discountcartpartsstore.co...rchresults.htm

I see the coupler jumped in price since I got mine.....pretty durned pricey! I have had mixed results with their online ordering but when you call the number on their website, the boss always answers......then your order arrives very soon thereafter.

Cheers, Ed S.

Comment

OOoops. I see that the catalog page I sent along via cut and paste won't come up ...... too far indentured I guess. Anyway, I just now went to their website>Club Car Parts and typed in 7136 in the search box and that worked. Ed S.

Comment

put the armature in the freezer overnite, heat the coupler, they will go right together.

Comment

I am up in Colorado now.....but w/o my motor. I attempted to remove it, but I actually had to drive tapered metal wedges in between the motor and the transaxle to get it to move. At just under 1/2", I realized I was removing the case/fields and leaving the armature/coupler behind.....and I really didn't want to go there. SOoo, in the hope that the brushes were still "atop" the commutator, I used some longer 1/4-20 bolts to draw the case back into place and then bolted everything back up. I apparently "lucked out" as the motor still runs fine. I am back at square one now and will decide which route to take later.

I have been advised by a guy who repairs/rebuilds carts that he sometimes has to remove the case/fields and then sometimes also has to drill a hole in the coupler to inject penetrating oil to facilitate removal! Seems the seizing up is pretty common ....... especially with couplers with even more splines than mine. (He puts a little anti-seizing compound on at re-assembly.) I really like to "roll my own" but I may farm the job out to him .......... especially if I go to a new higher performance motor/controller.

BTW- pistolpete is absolutely correct. I was advised (before my aborted attempt at motor removal) to put the new coupling in the oven at 400 or 450 for a few hours and it would slip right on there. I'm sure the deep freeze treatment for the armature would provide even a little more clearance. Thanks pistolpete.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X