Another Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Battery Question

I bought an 05 CC that has only been used about 6 time. It has the original 12v Trojan batteries which I am going to replace in the spring since I am going to store the cart away in a month. The cart runs fine and I have the charger on the cart as we speak and I was looking the batteries over and I can see the sides are bulged out. The cart was stored in a heated building so I know they have never been frozen. What causes this and should I be concerned using the cart for a month?
    Updated by erict; September 24, 2011, 09:15 AM.
    2005 CC Precedent

As batteries age they tend to bulge and it is generally not a problem, even new batteries have a wee bit of a bulge.
    Check the temperatures of your batteries while they are charging, if they get hot you should replace them (warm is normal).

Comment

I bought an 07 and have the same issue. The sides are bulged also. The batteries have been neglected bad. When charging they get pretty hot. I'm hoping they will last me until spring.

Comment

My batteries don't even get warm that I can tell.
        2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Posted earlier by erict View Post
          My batteries don't even get warm that I can tell.
          If your batteries are not getting warm you will have no problems if you can live with the run time until you change them out next spring.

Comment

Storing batteries in a hot shed can cause them to discharge and god bad.

Comment

Just went out and did my three week charge maintenance on my stored cart. They will only charge to 50.4v (90%). Defiantly time to replace my 6 year old 12v in the spring.
              2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Sounds like they have nearly outlived their life. Depends on how much and how far you want to drive the cart next year, who knows, you might even squeeze another year out of them.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                  Sounds like they have nearly outlived their life. Depends on how much and how far you want to drive the cart next year, who knows, you might even squeeze another year out of them.
                  Just might be able too I have the money put aside so I will take the plunge in the spring
                  2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Give this some thought, you may even be able to run them next spring and save up a little more for the 6x8v conversion. The cost of the 8v batteries and the conversion may be just a little bit more than the 12v batteries.
                    End result would be longer battery lifespan and better run times.

Comment

Give this some thought, you may even be able to run them next spring and save up a little more for the 6x8v conversion. The cost of the 8v batteries and the conversion may be just a little bit more than the 12v batteries.
                      End result would be longer battery lifespan and better run times.
                      It would be an additional $400 for me to do the upgrade. Plus, I also read that I would also need the matching OBC to correctly charge them to their full potential.
                      2005 CC Precedent

Comment

I agree somewhat that the conversion may cost a little more. If you are not in need of the extra run time and possible battery life issue then a conversion may be a waste of time and effort.

As far as the OBC goes, these things are not smart enough to tell the difference between 4x12v batteries and 6x8v batteries. Club Car has had issues in past with their OBCs and have had changes and upgrades.
                        The newest one is CC PN 103446601 which is the 4.0 version of their OBC and it is the same number required for a replacement from CC regardless of whether the cart has 4x12v or 6x8v batteries.
                        One more new development I have found is that Sam's Club is now starting to carry 12v golf cart batteries. They are $184 each but so far I have only seen them on the East coast. I believe they may be made by East Penn/Deka.
                        Still 12v at $185 each, 4x12v would be $740 and the 8v at $80 each, 6x8v would be $480.
                        That's a $260 difference which brings your conversion cost to a net $140.

These are all just an exercise in possibilities and food for thought, not intended to recommend one way or the other.

Comment

I agree somewhat that the conversion may cost a little more. If you are not in need of the extra run time and possible battery life issue then a conversion may be a waste of time and effort.

As far as the OBC goes, these things are not smart enough to tell the difference between 4x12v batteries and 6x8v batteries. Club Car has had issues in past with their OBCs and have had changes and upgrades.
                          The newest one is CC PN 103446601 which is the 4.0 version of their OBC and it is the same number required for a replacement from CC regardless of whether the cart has 4x12v or 6x8v batteries.
                          One more new development I have found is that Sam's Club is now starting to carry 12v golf cart batteries. They are $184 each but so far I have only seen them on the East coast. I believe they may be made by East Penn/Deka.
                          Still 12v at $185 each, 4x12v would be $740 and the 8v at $80 each, 6x8v would be $480.
                          That's a $260 difference which brings your conversion cost to a net $140.

These are all just an exercise in possibilities and food for thought, not intended to recommend one way or the other.
                          I can get the US batteries for $159ea.
                          2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Posted earlier by erict View Post
                            I can get the US batteries for $159ea.
                            That's a deal and I think that US Battery has been getting a little better reviews than Trojan lately.

Comment

Another battery question! Purchased 2007 Club Car that has four 12Volt batteries. I have purchased new batteries as the cart had none and I don't have a clue as to the wiring configuration> Any help with diagram would be greatly appreciated. Also need to find a trailer hitch to fit. Thanks,

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X