Overheading controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheading controller

I bought a '08 48V Club Car Precedent last December. Every time I drove it up the steep hill in our neighborhood, I could smell something burning like hot wires. Finally it died. It's back at the shop where I bought it. They tell me the solenoid was melted and the controller is damaged from too much heat. They suggest upgrading from a 300A to a 400A controller for $400. They think this will stop my cart from overheating. Will it?

Also, they say I could upgrade to a heavier duty solenoid for $80. Should I do this too? How about the gauge of the wires? They didn't say anything about this. Nor did they mention the motor needing to be upgraded.. fortunately.

It's frustrating because I'm still under a six month warranty but now have to shell out more $ so I can drive it up our hill.

Is there a circuit breaker on these carts that should flip before the current draw gets so high that it melts my electronics?

Hello kevinprz, welcome to Golf Carts Forum,

Yes the upgraded controller will help, you could upgrade the solenoid but it is not necessary. The gauge of the wires are just fine as is. There is a fuse, but it wouldn't blow unless a wire arched or there was a power surge to that effect. You can wire in a cooling fan so forced air gets blown directly on the controller from now on to help prevent such a failure under stress.
    Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X