Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Larger Motor and Burned out Components

Hello everyone,

I am writing to hopefully encounter some advice.

The model golf cart I have is a Club Car G&E 2004 & Up Precedent.

Serial # PQ0807-875917

I have one cart that had the original motor swapped out to install a larger one (AMD 48 volt (5hp @ 3750rpm) motor for speeds up to 24mph when used with a stock controller set at speed code 4).

This cart worked well until recently when there were problems with the batteries not holding as long of a charge anymore, it was still used even though it should have been thoroughly given a maintenance check.

Finally it wouldn't take a charge at all and we checked to make sure the charger was still operating normally.

The DC Motor Controller has burnt out according to an electrician as well as the charge control cables.

When he removed the items after it was connected to a charger he said the DC Motor Controller was so hot it actually melted the plastic around the terminal and he also mentioned the cables and the box of the other component were very hot.

I have attached photos of the components as reference.

I have since talked with the manufacturer of the charge control cables (I'm sure it has another real name) and he said the DC Motor Controller was most likely burnt out due to the larger motor but he said his component should be fine.

After reviewing the website from which we purchased the larger motor and other components I read the following:
    Application Comments:
    1. Beware: This motor will not fit into this golf car without fabrication work or at least a 3 inch lift kit being attached. This is because the wheel base on this style golf car is too narrow and the motor is too long. Shock may need to be temp. disconnected, just to be installed.
    2. Speed & Torque Focus
    3. All wiring throughout the golf cart must be upgraded to a minimum of 4 AWG. We recommend our Wire Upgrade Kit for most vehicle types. If you do not see Add Wire Kit checked in the "Accessories" section above, go to our links page for recommended suppliers.
    4. Must upgrade to a heavy duty Solenoid. We recommend our Solenoid Kit (kit includes solenoid, resistor, diode and mounting brackets).
    5. This controller has an extended housing. From end to end, it measures about 10 inches to the end of the Buss Bar.
    6. Enhanced thermal characteristics over the standard factory controller and therefore, much less likely to burn up.
    7. This is an economical hunting buggy solution.
    8. Currently the highest torque motor in the aftermarket! Excellent for hunting Buggy and lifted vehicle applications.
    Obviously none of the wiring had been upgraded to 4 AWG in addition to no heavy duty solenoid being purchased.

My question is if I order the DC Motor Controller again from the manufacturer do I order the same or make the upgrade to the middle range or high end heavier duty controller?

The next question is where to find the charge control cables as the representative I emailed said their contract is exclusive with Club Car.

Please help!!
    Attached Files

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 4 photos.

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X