Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjust mechanical brakes

Hi ,
    I am new to the forum. I just purchased a 1992 EZGO Cushman XI-775. the brakes are mechanical and they aren't working to good. I pulled one of the rear wheels off and the brake shoe looks like it has plenty of pad left.
    Could someone guide me how to adjust the rear mechanical brakes?
    I have also looked for a service manual online for this model, but I haven't been able to find one. Anyone know if there is a link to this manual?
    I found the service parts manual and it is helpful, but a service repair manual is what I am looking for.
    Thanks

You'll want to locate a small hole near the outer edge of the brake drum where it meets the wheel. This hole helps you access the brake adjustment mechanism inside. To do this, you'll need to take off the rims of your cart.

Once you've removed the rims, take a peek inside the brake assembly, and you'll find a star-shaped adjuster. It's nestled towards the front side of the brake assembly, right inside the drum, and sits at the bottom, between the brake shoes. This adjuster is what keeps the brake shoes in the right position.

Now comes the tweaking part. Using the appropriate tool, turn that star-shaped adjuster, focusing on the one closest to the front brake shoe. While you're turning it, gently move the brake drum until you start feeling some resistance. That's when you know you're making progress.

Once you've done that, repeat the process on the other side to make sure both brakes are adjusted evenly.

Next, give your brake pedal a few firm presses. This helps the brake shoes settle into their new position. After that, double-check the adjusters to make sure everything's snug. If your brake pedal still feels off, don't worry. You may need to take a closer look inside the drums. Remove them carefully and inspect for any signs of wear or damage. And when you're putting everything back together, make sure to tighten up the axle nut securely.

With a bit of patience and attention to detail, you should be back on track. Good luck!

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X