Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need to find out motor amp.

I have a 2HP, 2800 RPM 36 Volts
    Series Motor: 5BC48JB700 from a ez go cart. I need to know how many amps it pulls so I can figure my battery needs.
    Am making an electric, reverse trike and plan to use this motor in it. I pulled the motor from an old cart that had the batteries still (6 6volt) but there was no info on the batteries. I am completly new to electric building so am learning as I go. :-)
    Also, the motor has no shaft. the shaft was part of the rear end. how and where do I get a shaft that I can add a sprocket to for the drive chain I plan to use?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    HippiWitch.

Given the specifications of your motor, it's highly probable that you're dealing with a vintage EZ Go model from the mid 1970s through the 1980s. Rather than going through the hassle of sourcing a new shaft, a practical solution could involve swapping out the entire rear end, including the motor, into your project.

Your current cart operates on a somewhat outdated resistor based speed control system. In simpler terms, resistors are used to control the flow of electricity to the motor, which in turn affects the speed. As you accelerate, the resistance decreases, allowing more current to flow and thus increasing your speed. It's a straightforward method, but not quite as efficient or sophisticated as more modern electronic speed control systems.

To bring your project up to speed (pun intended ), you'll want to make the leap to electronic control. This involves a few key components: a 300 amp controller, a 200 amp HD solenoid, throttle conversion kit and linkage, and all the necessary install hardware. These components work together to regulate the flow of electricity to the motor, providing smoother acceleration and overall improved performance compared to the old resistor setup.

While resistor based systems are relatively simple and reliable, they do have their drawbacks. The resistors themselves can generate heat as they dissipate excess energy, leading to potential wear and inefficiencies over time. Additionally, these systems offer limited speed control and may result in jerky acceleration. The amperage drawn by the motor can vary depending on factors such as load, terrain, and speed. However, as a general estimate, these carts typically draw between 200 to 250 amps under normal operating conditions. During acceleration or when climbing hills, the amperage may increase temporarily to provide the necessary torque.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X