RXV rim offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RXV rim offset

I'm interested in getting some upgraded aluminum rims for my 2009 RXV but the various web sites have me confused on the offset.

I understand what offset is but am not sure what offset is on a stock RXV wheel. I don't want to have the some negative offset wheels sticking way outside the fenders like I've seen on some carts.

I'm looking at some 8" or 10" rims and tires.

Thanks,
    Richard

Imagine your wheel is a sandwich - the offset is like the distance between the center of the sandwich and the edge.

Now, picture your stock wheels being 7 inches wide, with the filling perfectly centered at 3.5 inches from either side. So far, so good, right? Now, let's talk about Offset in numbers. If you hear someone mention a 2 to 5-inch Offset, they mean the sandwich filling is pushed 5 inches towards the outside and 2 inches towards the inside. This shifting moves your wheel outwards by 1.5 inches.

If we look at a 3 to 4 inch offset, it only moves the wheel out by half an inch. So, why does this matter? Well, if you're just looking for a bit more clearance, the 3 to 4 inch offset will do the trick. But if you want a wider stance or have chunky tires with big lugs, you might prefer the 2 to 5 inch offset. I personally lean towards the 2 to 5 inch range.

Now, why does all this matter? Most factory wheels have a 3.5 inch Offset, meaning they're evenly spaced from the hub to the edge of the tire. But for riding offroad, you'll want that extra space. ATV tires, for example, have a rounder shape and stick out wider than regular tires, so they need more room to move without hitting anything inside the wheel well.

Many golf cart owners opt for offset wheels paired with ATV tires, which are tougher and less likely to get flats offroad. These tires also handle corners better and provide more stability.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X