Starter solenoid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter solenoid

I need a new starter solenoid, and was wondering if I could purchase one from an auto parts store or if I had to get it from a club car parts dealer. If so what type of solenoid do I need?

Hi what year is your club car?
    Regards

Comment

Oops left that out its an 03.
      Updated by 01cummins24; September 8, 2009, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks. If you can find a match it is worth a try, but golf cart solenoids are higher rated at "continuous duty". An automotive solenoid may break overtime. Hope this helps
        Regards

Comment

Ok thanks I'll just order one off the Internet. Do you know of a website to get one from, and when I look it up do I just get one for a gas 12v system?

Comment

And I was checking some wires for voltage with the engine off and noticed at the battery I had 20v and on the wire going to the reverse alarm red/wht wire had 29v could this be my voltage regulator or?

Comment

It sounds to me like you are not sure if that is your problem Here is a easy way to test the solenoid. First of all, starting with a fully charged battery, what does the cart do? Does it just click, does it do nothing? Either or, try jumping the solenoid across the 2 large posts, if the cart moves then your solenoid is bad. If it does not, we know to look further (then give me a full explanation of what went wrong)
              Regards

Comment

The cart came from Galveston tx after the last hurricane, and it had been completely under water. Most of the electrical wires on the solenoid and starter were corroded, but I fixed the wires and installed a new starter. The solenoid terminals had corroded and fallen off. Checked the rest of the wires and tested micro switches using wiring diagram. Installed solenoid off of a ford but found out it doesn't work like the club car one does according to diagram. But when I jump the big terminals engine and starter turn over. I don't think the solenoid I have installed works off of ground signal.

Comment

Thanks for the help got everything fixed.

Comment

Your welcome
                    Regards

Comment

Matti,
                      I purchased a common Ford starter solenoid to replace the one in my 97 carry-all II. Didn't fix what appeared to be a bad solenoid. My 93 service manual stats that a good solenoid measures 14-16 ohms between the small terminals (outboarded of course). The Ford solenoid has infinite resistance. Also, the base on the original solenoid wasn't grounded. The Ford solenoid base has to be grounded to operate. Any ideas on the difference? Thanks.

Comment

Posted earlier by Shocker1 View Post
                        Matti,
                        I purchased a common Ford starter solenoid to replace the one in my 97 carry-all II. Didn't fix what appeared to be a bad solenoid. My 93 service manual stats that a good solenoid measures 14-16 ohms between the small terminals (outboarded of course). The Ford solenoid has infinite resistance. Also, the base on the original solenoid wasn't grounded. The Ford solenoid base has to be grounded to operate. Any ideas on the difference? Thanks.
                        It must be a solenoid for a golf cart only. Any other vehicle solenoid will not work. I never actually tried it to see what the difference is, but every single person who I have heard try it, came out with it not working. What was the original problem and and did jumping the solenoid solve it?
                        Regards

Comment

Jumpimg the solenoid did work. Purchasing the automotive solenoid is where I went wrong. When the new solenoid didn't fix the issue, I thought I had additional problems. This cart has been modified to key start with a DPDT relay between the ignition and the solenoid. I don't have a diagram for this mod. I guess I need to wire-for-wire create a diagram so it will make some sense. I did have a minor wire melt down leading to the relay. This cart really don't like this Ford solenoid. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comment

Yep, did you order a new solenoid from the dealer yet?
                            Regards

Comment

I'm on it. Thanks for the reassurance. Always a learning curve. Also, new wires always make things go faster. Think positive!

Comment

Yep keep us updated
                                Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                X