2019 Onward gas. Tinny rattle at all speeds. Fwd & Rev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Onward gas. Tinny rattle at all speeds. Fwd & Rev

Just purchased a 2019 lifted Onward. I heard the rattle at purchase but figured I can figure out the trouble and the price was right. It sounded like a heat shield rattle (exhaust). It’s a very tinny sound and fairly loud. Not noticeable at idle or when on Jack stands. I took video through the back hatch and did not see anything vibrating but the sound did seem to be coming from the drive or driven clutch. I’m leaning more towards the driven clutch 1) Cause the noise seems to be more pronounced there 2) The drive clutch had sharpie writing (illegible) on the cover and it didn’t look factory leading me to think it may have been changed already. Oh, The sound is more pronounced w/ load/speed.

Greetings, the onward gas golf carts are inherently a bit chatty, which is why electric versions are an option for those seeking a quieter ride. Maybe the previous owner adjusted the throttle cable for more speed (and higher revs), some folks tweak the throttle cable to boost the top speed from the standard 15 - 18mph to a zippier speed at the cost of more engine noise. If the racket's too much, consider beefing up fireproof insulation around the engine or exploring gearing upgrades to dial down the engine's RPM. If you've noticed the sound more when driving and not on jack stands, it could be reflecting sound off the interior roof, which could be amplifying the noise further depending on your position in the cart. Consider adding sound proof tiles to the inside of the roof. Another approach is to conduct your sound investigation in a more controlled environment. Try setting up your cart on jack stands in an open, grassy area away from any structures. By minimizing background noise and echo, you can better isolate the source of the sound. This method allows you to focus solely on the cart, making it easier to identify the root cause if there's an issue. Sometimes unconventional methods can lead to the best solutions. Hope this sheds some light on things!

Comment

Posted earlier by GolfCartGuru View Post
      Greetings, the onward gas golf carts are inherently a bit chatty, which is why electric versions are an option for those seeking a quieter ride. Maybe the previous owner adjusted the throttle cable for more speed (and higher revs), some folks tweak the throttle cable to boost the top speed from the standard 15 - 18mph to a zippier speed at the cost of more engine noise. If the racket's too much, consider beefing up fireproof insulation around the engine or exploring gearing upgrades to dial down the engine's RPM. If you've noticed the sound more when driving and not on jack stands, it could be reflecting sound off the interior roof, which could be amplifying the noise further depending on your position in the cart. Consider adding sound proof tiles to the inside of the roof. Another approach is to conduct your sound investigation in a more controlled environment. Try setting up your cart on jack stands in an open, grassy area away from any structures. By minimizing background noise and echo, you can better isolate the source of the sound. This method allows you to focus solely on the cart, making it easier to identify the root cause if there's an issue. Sometimes unconventional methods can lead to the best solutions. Hope this sheds some light on things!
      Good stuff, I always find it funny driving the gasser around and people remark on how quiet the cart is from a distance and even assume its electric. I get a pretty good noise reflection off the roof and enclosure at times while driving. For the OP, I would like to add to also test drive similar carts at dealers and compare the noise difference. This will help you differentiate between what's normal and what isn't.
      Regards

Comment

isolate isolate isolate. Isolate the engine by removing the drive belt and running it, youll know for sure if the noise is coming from the engine or drivetrain…….This could also rule out the driven clutch…Yammy did a recent study and most of the competitors are about as loud as a window ac unit on full blast

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X