Loses Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loses Spark

I have a 2001 DS. The engine will run for a while but will lose the spark. I can stick a screwdriver in the spark plug wire and ground it while trying to start it and the spark will come back and run for a while with no problem. I thought it was a bad ignitor/coil, so I changed it. It is still doing the same thing! Any ideas?

It's a good idea to hang onto the original OEM coil given the typically shorter lifespan of aftermarkets. Assuming the spark plug and wire itself isn't the culprit, directly above the oil drain plug sits the RPM limiter, easily identified by its black plastic casing. Attached to one of the bolts securing the RPM limiter is a brown wire. By disconnecting this ground wire, you effectively disable the RPM limiter (a common problem), allowing the engine to operate without intervention. This step isolates potential issues related to the RPM limiter. Assuming the RPM limiter has been rendered inactive, the engine should remain operational during further diagnostic testing. If ignition complications persist despite these measures, your investigation should focus on the integrity of the ignition coil itself and the adjacent wire segment connecting it to the RPM limiter. That's the entire rundown when it comes to spark troubleshooting for the FE290.
    Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X