new guy, one quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy, one quick question

hey, all i just purchased a 1999 club car. i read about removing the governor and think i want to do this but i have read this could damage the engine. Is this true if i leave the rev limiter intact? if i remove the governor but leave the rev limiter do i still risk overheating/over revving/damaging the engine? any advice is appreciated. thanks for your help in advance.

If you remove the governor, you have nothing to protect you from hitting the rev limiter which stresses the engine very hard when you hit it. If you keep the cart below the rev limiter you should have no problem.

You can also remove the rev limiter for a bit more speed, but with that gone you will have nothing left to keep you from blowing the engine. In this case you would have to purchase a tachometer to watch the RPM's and keep them below the damaging speed.
    Regards

Comment

is there any way to adjust the rev limiter so it kicks in at a slightly lower rpm to lessen the stress on the engine?

Comment

Unfortunately no. It is simply either enabled or disabled. A rev limiter is basically an on/off switch on your engine that flips on and off in intervals over and over again. Even if you could adjust it, it would still harm the engine.

It's like a person who is sprinting 100 yards. If he decides to sprint and then stop, sprint and then stop, consecutively over and over again until the finish, he would be more tired in the end than if he was sprinting the whole stretch non-stop. If he decides to do the same race, but jogging instead of sprinting... he still would be more tired in the end jogging and stopping than if he jogged the whole stretch non-stop.
        Regards

Comment

got it, now i understand. thank you so much for your help, if i do end up removing the governor i will be sure to keep the rpms low enough to avoid having the rev limiter kick in

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X