rev limiter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rev limiter question

Hi - New to this forum and hoping you can help me. I know very little about golf carts and even less about engines, etc.
    My husband and I bought a 2006 Club Car (gas) about 2 years ago. We don't use it very often - it's kept at a vacation home that we spend a few weekends a year at. The last time we used it we were having trouble getting it to go. You had to flutter the gas pedal or hold it all the way down for seconds for it to start up. Over the weekend it seemed to back fire a lot. It would run sporadically and then just stopped running at all. So we brought it home and had a friend/mechanic look at. He determined that it was the rev limiter (he removed the ground and the cart ran perfectly) so we ordered a new rev limiter and when he installed it he said it worked for about a minute or less. So my question is - could the new rev limiter be bad or could something else be "blowing" the rev limiter? Thanks so much in advance and sorry for the long post.

I wish I could tell you what exactly cause the rev limiter to short out, I'm sure some of these guys on here can but haven't responded. I CAN tell you to unhook the thing and run it, you will be fine. The engine is governed anyway in the rear end, and it doesn't sound like you abuse your cart, so you are completely safe to unhook the ground wire on the rev limiter and keep on driving, mine has been unhooked for two years now, and I know several others who have theirs unhooked with no problems. In fact, the manual tells you to unhook it when there is no spark as a troubleshooting step. Hopefully someone will respond with a reason as to why your rev limiter fails like that, there has to be some sort of short somewhere. Club Car is the only manufacturer that essentially has two governing systems on their carts, not sure why, probably to ensure people don't abuse them on the links when they rent them out.

Comment

Thank you for your response! Waiting for a replacement rev limiter to try again.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X