95 Medalist is sooooo sloooooow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Medalist is sooooo sloooooow!

I'm looking for some suggestions, advice or encouragement on my 1995 Medalist 36V Electric cart. I just put new batteries and battery cables in it after it sat idle, under cover for about 8 years. It seems to run fine, but it is sooooo slooowwww going up a hill. Almost to the point of my wondering if it will make it. And I live on a very hilly golf course in Virginia. It goes like a bat out of heck down hill and everything else seems to be working fine except that the back up alarm seems to be slightly intermittent. It takes a charge OK and has never left me by the side of the cart path. Just wondering if there is something I can do to improve performance, particularly under situations requiring higher torque like steeper terrain. The cart is the older type that will not accept a "speed chip." I have taken off the front wheels and repacked the wheel bearings as well as changing the oil in the differential. Brakes are not hanging up and forward reverse lever functions normally with the exception of the reverse alarm not always working.

I've attached a photo for your reference.

Here are my questions:
    1) Is the controller the problem? Even though it seems to still be working, does it get weak and reduce performance?
    2) Should I replace the electrical cables from teh battery to the controller and to the motor?
    3) Are there other electrical components I should look at like the contacts in the f/r switch?

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted and you have my thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

I have been considering one of those older carts and here are my ideas, should I buy it. In my opinion, it's the only way to make one of the older units more dependable and modern.
    Either in seperate pieces or a kit, replace the entire control system. New HD F&R switch, HD Solenoid and Alltrax controller. With that, add 4 guage, (2 guage would be even better), cables. Replace all the cables, not just some or those connecting the batteries. I think if you would do that, you'd be more than happy with the performance. You are a little better off than those with the pre-1991 carts but it's still worth replacing everything.

Comment

That's probably sound advice. But a little pricier that I was hoping for. New Controller, Solenoid, F&R switch, new cables easily run me over $1,000. If a component is no good or significantly weakened from inactivity, I'll pony up the $ to replace them. But at this point, replacing everything short of the motor is a little out of budget. I was hoping for something like some tips about how to inspect, clean and test some of the components. Any suggestions there?
      Updated by rustybolts; July 4, 2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Disconnect the batteries. Now you can check and/or service all the components in the drive. Corrosion may be the culprit so try cleaning all the contacts including the F&R switch. Some fine grit sand paper and a brass wire brush can be very helpful.

Comment

Good advice pbsdaddy. I have planned to get under the cart and clean every possible connection, but just haven't found the time. Besides, it's been hotter than heck here and I"m drenched in sweat after working in the garage for just a few minutes!

I see a couple of "black boxes" that I assume are covers for the controller and switches on the right side of the battery compartment. I assume there is a reason why they are sealed from view and inaccessable. Is it a good idea to open these and inspect them? Are there any pitfalls to doing this - like difficulty getting them back together or something that might easily be broken?

Is the FNR switch you are talking about on the back side of the lever at your right knee? It doesn't look to bad, but I'll buff it up with a little sand paper or a dremel tool with a fine grit wheel.

Would it be a good idea to replace the cables from the batteries to the controller and from the controller to the motor with new, even if they don't look too corroded or are broken?

Thanks in advance for your good input!
          Rusty
          Updated by rustybolts; July 9, 2012, 08:39 AM.

Comment

OK. So I took the cover off the FNR switch and cleaned all the contacts. I took the cover off the solenoid and I'm telling you, on a cart that's 17 years old, it looked like brand new! After I cleaned up the FNR, the backup alarm started working perfectly.

But the cart is still SLLLLLLOOOOWWW going up hills!!! I looked at the wiring on the motor and even though I haven't taken it apart and cleaned them, the contacts look just fine. No corrosion or damaged wires.

Any other suggestions or am I asking too much of the old cart. Did they just not go as fast as the new ones - uphill, that is!?!? I feel like the old cart is pretty reliable and won't leave me on the side of the path, but it would be nice to be able to get a little more speed to help me get my round in a little quicker on a hilly course.....
            Thanks in advance for any other suggestions....
            Rusty

Comment

Replacing all the primary cables is always a good idea. The factory, like all makers, went the least expensive way they could. They used six guage cable and many times crimped ends. Replace your with 2 guage with soldered copper ends. If you can make them yourself, they shouldn't cost more than $30. Fine strand welding wire works very well.

Comment

Thanks, pbsdaddy......I don't have the equipment or the parts to solder the wires. I'll check into buying a set. Any suggestions on the best place to buy them?

Comment

I deal with the Pasco battery store locally. The manager there is extremely knowledgeable and has been more than helpful. You have one in Exmore, if that's close. Or there are a couple up near DC. They will make you a great set of cables.
                  Updated by pbsdaddy; July 15, 2012, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X