How To troubleshooting a 2004 Precedent (48v) Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To troubleshooting a 2004 Precedent (48v) Charger

My charger is not working 2004 precedent, I was told on another site to just replace the OBC. I asked how do I know its the OBC, I was told they go bad all the time. I'm not sure they know how to work on this cart. I might as well guess as them. is there a test that can be done to confirm this costly outcome.

Hi Rafe

when working on these chargers, I always start with the Gray Wire Test! On the back of the charge receptacle there are three wires red, black and center gray, if you follow this grey wire to the OBC you will find it unplugs there. Unplug this wire touch it to the neg. 48volts of the battery pack and see if charger comes on.

This test splits the charge system into two parts 1. OBC and 2. charger if the charger comes on then you move to OBC trouble shooting, If the charger does not come on then you do charger trouble shooting.

Rafe try this test and let us know what happens.

Comment

I was able to pull the grey wire out of the OBC, it was really short so I used a piece of wire to jump from the battery to the grey wire is this ok.

I still got nothing no noise or reading on the meter.

Comment

Yes that is great what you did with the wire, this is fairly good news the problem is in the charger at this point, not that the OBC isn't bad also but the charger is defiantly bad at this point.

Now we are going to jump the charger inside so be careful unplug both ends of the charger while you touching stuff. ( oh and don't worry if you forget it will remind you ).

I attached a picture of how to jump the charger relay this will test the two halves of the charger circuit, if it comes on then the first half is bad, if not the second half.
        Attached Files

Comment

gaminde,
          This is great info right here. If you don't mind I plan to print this out and the grey wire trick is trick thanks learned something new today!

Club Car's aren't my cup of tea: But I'm learning.D
          sigpic
          I'm here to help!
          There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
            Yes that is great what you did with the wire, this is fairly good news the problem is in the charger at this point, not that the OBC isn't bad also but the charger is defiantly bad at this point.

Now we are going to jump the charger inside so be careful unplug both ends of the charger while you touching stuff. ( oh and don't worry if you forget it will remind you ).

I attached a picture of how to jump the charger relay this will test the two halves of the charger circuit, if it comes on then the first half is bad, if not the second half.
            Ok were talking the two bottom wires on the black plastic part, I will use a piece of wire again to connect them. Do I plug in the charger and which plug?

Comment

Yes you do sorry about that.

You plug in the 115v power cord and listen for transformer hum or
              You plug in both, it may or may not charge depending on the state of the OBC.

if the charger does come on and you have both cords plugged in you can charge like this for a short period an hour or two but do not leave it plugged in like this for an extended period it will not shut off unplug it after an hour or two!

Comment

YES my charger is on and charging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X