Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series Motor + Foward & Reverse Switch - How It All Works

What? 4 Wires? S1... A2... Huh???

Confusing isn't it? Well hopefully the following diagrams and explanation will clear up the often intimidating and misunderstood concepts involved with ours motors and how the F&R switch functions.

The first diagram shows a series motor connected to a battery. Our motors do not have permanent magnets like many DC motors you might be familiar with, but instead use "electro-magnets" to create the motor's North and South poles by passing current through the field coils (S1, S2).

The next diagram is essentially the same as the first, but note that the positions of the armature and field coils have changed. This does not affect the operation of the motor. The same amount of current will flow through the circuit and in the same direction. The four Dots represent the ends of the four wires that connect to the F&R switch. The lines between them represent the inner workings of the switch. Lets assume the switch is in the forward position and the carts moves forward when the Go pedal is depressed.

The last diagram depicts what happens to the flow of current when the switch is moved to the reverse position. Current is now flowing in the same direction through the armature, but in the opposite direction through the field coils. This reverses the North & South poles created by the "electo-magnets" and causes the motor to spin in the opposite direction. The F&R switch can be placed in the circuit so that it switches the direction of current flow to either the armature or the field coils, the result is the same.

*Note that the drawings below are conceptual representations of the motor/switch circuit and that the positions of S1, S2, A1, A2 may or may not correspond with how your cart is actually wired.

**If you have a regen, sepex, compound motor, etc. then the diagrams do not directly apply to your application as the methods used to energize the coils are different.
    Attached Files

sonicj!
    Your explanations are always an interesting read that helps people wrap their heads around how things work.

Comment

Hay! Thanx Doug!

Its kinda funny/ironic that you said that... I originally made these drawings to answer a question for a member on Buggies Gone Wild and it was that very post that got me banned! LOL! Glad to know at least somebody out there appreciates what i have to say.
      -sj
      Updated by sonicj; January 11, 2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

I appreciate the articles SonicJ, I like to keep articles clean of posts unless it pertains to the information being discussed.... so I may not comment in a lot of articles.... But they are very much appreciated, thank you. I dont know about that other site, but if you keep this up over here you may get promoted to a honorable member
        Regards,

Comment

Posted earlier by sonicj View Post
          Hay! Thanx Doug!

Its kinda funny/ironic that you said that... I originally made these drawings to answer a question for a member on Buggies Gone Wild and it was that very post that got me banned! LOL! Glad to know at least somebody out there appreciates what i have to say.
          -sj
          It's some nice review for me and a great learning experience for others. I didn't know that you left the other site, I guess that would be their loss.
          We have been most stock stuff here but it's evolving and growing.

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
            you may get promoted to a honorable member
            He'd get my vote.

Comment

Only reason I can think of something like this being banned from "the other" web site is that one of the manufacturers is some how involved and thinks some information is "proprietary. I used to browse that site quite regularly, I'm in the process of putting an old 79 Caroche back to together for our horse rescue to use. I'd consider myself very experienced in mechanical and electrical, but the F & R had me baffled having used almost entirely standard DC motors and reversing the TWO terminals to reverse the motor. This simple drawing makes everything crystal clear. Going to see what I can find for an expensive F & R switch. Every penny we save can go toward the horses.

Comment

It was not the post that got banned it was that individual along with many other good numbers.

Comment

Hi,
                  That is great, now how does the 5 solenoids and the coil wires play in to the theme of the throttle? (I have a 1979 caroche.)

Comment

The solenoids come on in sequence to regulate how much power get to the motor. The first coil solenoid will have max resistance through all the coils. The second will effectively cut out one of the coils, with less resistance is more power. The last solenoid is full power, no coils in the circuit at all this is done under control of the wiper switch hooked to the "gas" pedal which cannot handle full battery power. Most of the time there are two coils that come on almost simultaneously. One being a "power on" switch and the second putting power through the coils. Depending on the model set up this "power on" solenoid can be back with the ones the coils are hooked to, or it can be mounted up near the batteries.

Comment

thanks, It all makes sense.
                      Jay

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X