battery charger or charger electronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery charger or charger electronics

My charger is not working 2004 precedent, I was told on another site to just replace the OBC. I asked how do I know its the OBC, I was told they go bad all the time. I'm not sure they know how to work on this cart. I might as well guess as them. is there a test that can be done to confirm this costly outcome.

Have you tried resetting the OBC yet?
    If not try that first. Look here:
    http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c....html#post6999

If that didn't help:
    The charger has two pieces that if not both working it want charge. One is the charger it self the other is the OBC, On board computer the square box the negative cable runs through off of the negative post of the battery pack. If it quits then the charger want charge. It looks like this.

sigpic
    I'm here to help!
    There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I think you need to clarify a couple of things. Is the charger not turning on or is it turning on but not charging the batteries?
      2005 CC Precedent

Comment

Erict as far as I can tell it does nothing

andy I hate to tell you this but there is a hole in your OBC and it looks like a spaghetti dinner.
        I will try the reset in the morning

Thanks both of you for your help

Comment

Posted earlier by Rafe View Post
          Erict as far as I can tell it does nothing

andy I hate to tell you this but there is a hole in your OBC and it looks like a spaghetti dinner.
          I will try the reset in the morning

Thanks both of you for your help
          Could be the circuit breaker or rectifier or both in your charger. Do you know anyone with a charger you could test on your cart? The hole in the OBC is for the negative cable to pass through which monitors the charge.
          2005 CC Precedent

Comment

This is one of the things about fixing carts over the net. They have so many possibilities that I try for the ones most found, which is the OBC. I hope it is a fuse.
            I have even seen it be the AC outlet tripped. You never know.
            sigpic
            I'm here to help!

Comment

Ok I printed and read the OBC reset last night. I tried it this morning and nothing no change. Not sure it reset as I do not have a buzzer but followed the setup twice to be sure.

Comment

Hi Rafe

when working on these chargers, I always start with the Gray Wire Test! On the back of the charge receptacle there are three wires red, black and center gray, if you follow this grey wire to the OBC you will find it unplugs there. Unplug this wire touch it to the neg. 48volts of the battery pack and see if charger comes on.

This test splits the charge system into two parts 1. OBC and 2. charger if the charger comes on then you move to OBC trouble shooting, If the charger does not come on then you do charger trouble shooting.

Rafe try this test and let us know what happens.

Comment

I was able to pull the grey wire out of the OBC, it was really short so I used a piece of wire to jump from the battery to the grey wire is this ok.

I still got nothing no noise or reading on the meter.

Comment

Yes that is great what you did with the wire, this is fairly good news the problem is in the charger at this point, not that the OBC isn't bad also but the charger is defiantly bad at this point.

Now we are going to jump the charger inside so be careful unplug both ends of the charger while you touching stuff. ( oh and don't worry if you forget it will remind you ).

I attached a picture of how to jump the charger relay this will test the two halves of the charger circuit, if it comes on then the first half is bad, if not the second half.
                    Attached Files

Comment

gaminde,
                      This is great info right here. If you don't mind I plan to print this out and the grey wire trick is trick thanks learned something new today!

Club Car's aren't my cup of tea: But I'm learning.D
                      sigpic
                      I'm here to help!

Comment

But I'm learning.D

andy! That makes two of us!

Comment

Posted earlier by gaminde View Post
                          Yes that is great what you did with the wire, this is fairly good news the problem is in the charger at this point, not that the OBC isn't bad also but the charger is defiantly bad at this point.

Now we are going to jump the charger inside so be careful unplug both ends of the charger while you touching stuff. ( oh and don't worry if you forget it will remind you ).

I attached a picture of how to jump the charger relay this will test the two halves of the charger circuit, if it comes on then the first half is bad, if not the second half.
                          Ok were talking the two bottom wires on the black plastic part, I will use a piece of wire again to connect them. Do I plug in the charger and which plug?

Comment

Yes you do sorry about that.

You plug in the 115v power cord and listen for transformer hum or
                            You plug in both, it may or may not charge depending on the state of the OBC.

if the charger does come on and you have both cords plugged in you can charge like this for a short period an hour or two but do not leave it plugged in like this for an extended period it will not shut off unplug it after an hour or two!
                            Updated by gaminde; January 7, 2012, 04:15 PM.

Comment

YES my charger is on and charging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Great info gaminde, erict and andy. Rafe, glad you got the charger up and running again!
                                Regards

Comment

YES my charger is on and charging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                  Great Rafe
                                  put the two wires back on the relay, pull the upper two wires off of the same relay one wire is blue negative meter lead and red wire positive meter lead meter set for 100 volts or higher plug the charger into the cart or do the grey wire jump again you should see battery voltage on meter. If there is battery voltage there then the relay coil is bad and you will need to replace the relay, If there is no voltage then we will keep testing.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you! I borrowed a meter and did this test bad relay replaced today and all is working. 20 bucks not the 200 something thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Thank you! I borrowed a meter and did this test bad relay replaced today and all is working. 20 bucks not the 200 something thanks everyone for your help.
                                      A working charger, an education, and all for $20.

Comment

Its been a week or so and everything is still working
                                        I really love this site

Comment

Glad to hear it Rafe, thanks for the status update!
                                          Regards

Comment

Oh it is always joyful to see others get there equipment up an going

I guess because I know the feeling.

Colt

Comment

I was able to pull the grey wire out of the OBC, it was really short so I used a piece of wire to jump from the battery to the grey wire is this ok.

I still got nothing no noise or reading on the meter.
                                              I have a 97 model and have the same problem my charger is new as well the batteries. i went to unplug the grey and it looks to be hard wired

Comment

It unplugges from the o b c

Comment

maybe you can clarify on charger testing further. i jumped out the two relay wires, installed 15 amp fuse onto relay wires, plugged in the ac cord without the cart plugged in. all i got was a hum on the charger and amp meter did not move at all. now what? i have a new amp meter , relay, new obc. it is a iq plus charger. tested coils , continuity ok, checked rectifiers for diode test ok
                                                  Updated by rmouton; January 30, 2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Posted earlier by rmouton View Post
                                                    maybe you can clarify on charger testing further. i jumped out the two relay wires, installed 15 amp fuse onto relay wires, plugged in the ac cord without the cart plugged in. all i got was a hum on the charger and amp meter did not move at all. now what? i have a new amp meter , relay, new obc. it is a iq plus charger. tested coils , continuity ok, checked rectifiers for diode test ok
                                                    That sounds correct no load on the charger (not plugged into the cart) no amps output (its an open circuit) !!

sounds like you skipped a step, read post #8 you should always start there first.

It would also be helpful to state the problem problems you were having
                                                    like tripping right after turning on, or not humming flashing battery light and so on.
                                                    Updated by gaminde; January 30, 2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                                    X