G8 Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G8 Smoking

I Have A G8 That Smokes. Checked Compression, It Had 180 Lbs. Sounded Awfull High To Me. Could The Muffler Be The Problem ?

What color smoke and how much?
    Regards

Comment

it puts out light blue smoke- to start with it put out a lot- i took plug out and put a little lucas in cylinder all night. turned over by hand several timed to coat cylinder wall- put in new plug. smoked bad at start-up untill it got lucas burnt out- now it hardly smokes at all. do you think it may have got cylinder washed dry and rings wasnt seating ?

Comment

Blue smoke is burning oil. If at one point it was smoking a lot, it will take a few hours of riding to get any leftover oil out of the muffler. So actually the muffler itself is making the smoke. If the problem stays after 5 hours of driving, I will look more into the fuel, type of oil being used, and if the valve seals are possibly letting the oil into the cylinder. To see, keep an eye on the oil level, if its going down that means you are burning oil.
        Regards

Comment

how much work is it to replace valve seals ?
          Updated by HARRYJAWS; April 29, 2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

It is a job to do, but if you HAVE to go into the engine to replace the seals, you might as well rebuild the whole engine while you are at it (replace the piston rings and all other gaskets) so that you are good for another 10 years.
            Regards

Comment

Ok- Thanks For Advice- I Was Gonna Try To Sell It If I Could Get It Not Smoking- Guess Ill Have To Invest A Little More In It.

Comment

Posted earlier by HARRYJAWS View Post
                Ok- Thanks For Advice- I Was Gonna Try To Sell It If I Could Get It Not Smoking- Guess Ill Have To Invest A Little More In It.
                Depending on what you want to sell it for that shouldn't be too much of a problem, unless you are killing mosquitoes behind you as you ride lol
                Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                X