Little Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Help Please

I have an '87 gas g2 that I am trying to get running (got it from my father in law) The backup buzzer will come on but the engine wont turn over or anything when I push the gas on, so I'm wondering would this be my starter or relay possibly? I tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver but I got nothign with this as well. Thanks for any help.

Hey is your battery charged? If it has been sitting it would have gone down in voltage to the point where the cart will no longer start.
    Regards

Comment

Yes the battery is charged, when I winterized my boat I took the battery out and had it inside so I am using that battery to test it until I get it running then I'll get a new one for the golf cart, so it should have plenty of charge to it

Comment

Ok. How did you jump the solenoid, was it across the 2 large posts with a jumper cable? Here is another thing, check all the fuses too.
        Regards

Comment

I jumped the seloniod with a screwdriver across the 2 positive posts, when I did that it did run the starter but the engine is not starting with the gas pedal pushed down. I have looked at the 2 fuses in the back of the cart by the backup buzzer and they are not blown, so I am wondering if it is some sort of ignition deal? I tried jumping it on the seloniod with the gas pedal down and watching to see if the spark plug was sparking but didnt see anything so that leads me to think its some sort of ignition deal of it not engaging or something when the gas pedal is pushed, any ideas? thanks a lot for any help

Comment

Posted earlier by cpaulsonIU View Post
            I jumped the seloniod with a screwdriver across the 2 positive posts, when I did that it did run the starter but the engine is not starting with the gas pedal pushed down. I have looked at the 2 fuses in the back of the cart by the backup buzzer and they are not blown, so I am wondering if it is some sort of ignition deal? I tried jumping it on the seloniod with the gas pedal down and watching to see if the spark plug was sparking but didnt see anything so that leads me to think its some sort of ignition deal of it not engaging or something when the gas pedal is pushed, any ideas? thanks a lot for any help
            Your solenoid is bad, if it ran after the jump this tells it all. Replace it and you're good to go
            Regards

Comment

well sorry i think i mistyped it i mean to say that the starter would turn and turn the belt, but I didnt hear the engine start running, and also if my solenoid was bad wouldnt it not be able to be jumped by a screwdriver? Thanks for all of your help and such fast responses its really helpful

Comment

My head is jumbling all over the place now lol . Let me try and clear it up real fast.

Currently the golf cart is doing absolutely nothing. Just the reverse beeper works. You don't hear any clicks or anything.. Right?

But you jumped the solenoid and in doing this the starter began to turn the belt, however the engine did not fire.

I reread all the previous posts and this above information is all true. But I did see you say "if my solenoid was bad wouldn't it not be able to be jumped by a screwdriver?" This is false. In fact it is the exact opposite, if the golf cart is doing nothing, and then you jump the solenoid and the starter turns the belt that means your solenoid is the problem!
                Regards

Comment

Ok thanks for the help, I do think the solenoid is good because I jumped it from not hot to hot but from hot to the top switch where the r/w wire connects. I am thinking it may be a wiring short somewhere then? so I'm thinking of replacing the wiring throughout the cart? does that seem right?

Comment

It is tough to say, it is more likely that a short will either blow a fuse or a unit such as the solenoid or a microswitch. Anyway, does the cart work during a hot/hot jump?
                    Regards

Comment

when doing the hot/hot jump the engine does turn over while the starter is turning but no spark at the spark plug

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X