G2a Won't Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G2a Won't Charge

I HAVE A G2A THAT IS NOT CHARGING. HOW DOES THE CHARGING SYSTEM WORK? I'VE DOWNLOADED THE WIRING DIAGRAM, BUT I HAVEN'T FOUND WHAT DISENGAGES THE START SOLENOID AND STARTS THE CHARGE CYCLE. HOW DOES THE STARTER/GENERATOR SYSTEM WORK ON THIS MODEL AND HOW DO YOU TROUBLE SHOOT IT? I'VE ALSO NOTICED THAT WHEN USING THE HEADLIGHTS, THEY BURN BRIGHT AT LOW ENGINE SPEEDS AND DIM DOWN AT HIGHER ENGINE SPEEDS.

I DO APPRECIATE ANY HELP ON THIS MATTER.

Hi sparrish. The microswitch engages the solenoid, which throws power to the starter. Once running the starter stops moving and is taken over by the engine which spins the starter generating a charge. Nothing disengages the starter, once it spins past a certain RPM it stops drawing electricity and starts charging... overriding the system.

Test how much voltage is in your battery, since it may be bad. If it checks out, then jack up the cart, floor it and see if the starter is putting out a charge.
    Regards

Comment

Posted earlier by Matti View Post
      Hi sparrish. The microswitch engages the solenoid, which throws power to the starter. Once running the starter stops moving and is taken over by the engine which spins the starter generating a charge. Nothing disengages the starter, once it spins past a certain RPM it stops drawing electricity and starts charging... overriding the system.

Test how much voltage is in your battery, since it may be bad. If it checks out, then jack up the cart, floor it and see if the starter is putting out a charge.
      Thanks for the response, Matti.

This is my first time dealing with starter/generator units and it's blowing my mind like a candle in a whirlwind.

My battery is good. I checked the battery voltage before starting the cart at 11 VDC as the unit was not charging. With it in neutral I started it up and reved up with no change in voltage at the battery.

Since then I have recharged the battery with the same results. All connections are clean and tight.

Where do you suggest to check generator output, across terminals A1 & F2, or R & G? If R & G, is that with wires connected or disconnected, and what should I read, AC or DC and what voltage? Could You tell me what the ohms resistance value should be across that coil of the generator?

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      X