Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

Great to find this site; I am new. We have a 2005 TXT-PDS 36v with front seat, small dump bed, and lifted / rugged tires. Bought for construction jobsite and employee rear-ended a vehicle and busted out the front lights. Then cart was left unattended/uncharged/etc for a year. Still looks good with exception of headlights. I want to refurbish the cart for Christmas for my daughter; but it looks like it will be a fortune. I should be able to most of the work myself, but I am also looking at options of 1)trade-in for another at place of purchase; and 2)let place where we bought it repair it. First, I know the batteries are shot; so there is the purchase of 6 batteries. The charger was left outside and is full of rust inside; so I assume I will need a new charger (another $500)??? unless any ideas??? I want to replace the dump bed with a rear seat. I also need to get new front lights and one tail light, and windshield. I will also need to replace the mud tires with smoother tread for pavement. Those are just the absolute musts; and I'm not 100% positive that will take care of everything. (I later plan to paint it for daughter, and add horn, turn signals, seat covers). I have been replacing some of the ends on my battery cables because they were corroded/broken. I took photos before removing batteries, but there is one red wire that the end had corroded off and I do not know what it attaches to. It has a 15a fuse in the wire. I have another black wire that has a fuse in it, and it was attached to the middle battery. This red wire is the only other wire with a fuse and is part of a group of wires bound in a flex sleeve and running under the tow/run box. I only have 2 red wires under the seat; one connecting to the positive port on the first battery, and this one that has a fuse. Anyone know where it attaches??? The end corroded off and I do not know what type of end it had on it. I'm trying to post photos of what I have and would GREATLY APPRECIATE anyone's and everyone's help and advice on how to get this in good shape for my daughter's Christmas present; without going broke. Or if my best option is to go ahead and trade it in. Thanks
    Attached Files

Does anyone have a photo of what my 2005 electric txt pds should look like under the seat?? Thanks to all

Comment

Hello hoppy and welcome to the Golf Carts Forum! It seems like you are interested in getting a quote for trading it in, so why dont you ask them what its worth. I can tell you that with new batteries, a charger and a good cleaning, it is probably worth around $4,000 if you sell it to someone off the street. The charger is probably fixable, however you may want to confirm that with DougMCP.

Welcome to the forum and btw NICE PICS!!! Overall it looks like a great fun new golf cart and a wonderful project that isnt too bad to fix!

Matti
      Regards

Comment

to GCF Hoppy!
        That cart doesn't look too bad if your up to a little DIY.
        The little red wire looks to me like the positive wire for your 12v accessories, the negative was on the middle battery. If not that, then it could be the reed switch wire.
        I'm not sure how bad the batteries are but you may be able to revive them enough to get the cart working and then decide to make the battery plunge.
        In the interim you can charge the batteries individually with a 6v charger or 2 in series with a 12v charger.
        We can get to your charger issues a little later but other than some rust I bet we can get that going as well.
        I know you asked for a photo of a PDS cart battery area but I don't have one in my file. Let me know what you are looking for and I'm sure we can find it.
        If you are looking for wiring diagrams, maintenance manuals etc, you will be able to view them after you accumulate 5 posts.
        I hope we can get this thing going for you so you can get to the body and paint work.

Comment

Thanks very much!! The batteries were dry and we filled with distilled water. I took them to Auto store for them to check. The technician stated after his testing that he really doubted they would take a charge. I then spent the rest of the day trying to charge them individually; but only 1 of the 6 took any charge at all and it only reached 25% according to the charger. I am taking to place of purchase today to get a trade-in quote and just to look around at what they have that may be more appealing to my 13yr old if the price is right. I would prefer though to keep this one. A big concern is even after purchasing batteries, I have the charger that does not work and I really have no idea where to start with it. Thanks

Comment

For testing purposes you can use 3 used 12v batteries of any type.
            Depending on your budget, for new batteries I would use the Sam's Club GC-2 batteries, similar specs to the Trojan T-105s and about $72 each.
            If you want to go cheaper call your local golf cart shops and see if you can buy a set of used batteries that test out good, you can usually pick these up for about $100-$150 a set of 6.
            As far as the charger is concerned, if yours is no good or can't be fixed, you can buy refurbed or used ones for $150-$200 including shipping.
            Here's an example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z-Go-36v-B...item564740a4c5

Trading in the cart for something that is already up and running would sure take the heat off finishing the cart in time for Christmas.
            Updated by dougmcp; November 23, 2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all your help!! It was quite a bit of work, but I finished it two days before Christmas and my daughter absolutely loves it!!! I will post photos of the finished cart. Now, I just need to ask the best ways to improve performance; such as how to get the best torque/speed? It does have the lift kits with larger tires, and there are some mild paves hills it is used on. But I need to know the best way to travel as far as possible on a charge, so that she can travel to a friend's home and back on a single charge. Thanks again

Comment

Congrats on getting the cart finished in time for Christmas.
                Before we can address your power speed issues, did you fix your original 05 PDS cart or did you get another cart?
                I can see more power to get up some of the hills but have you given thought to the safety of a 13 yr old with a fast cart?
                How fast does it go now with the lift and larger tires and what size are they?
                More questions to follow I'm sure.....

Comment

Posted earlier by Hoppy View Post
                  Thanks for all your help!! It was quite a bit of work, but I finished it two days before Christmas and my daughter absolutely loves it!!! I will post photos of the finished cart. Now, I just need to ask the best ways to improve performance; such as how to get the best torque/speed? It does have the lift kits with larger tires, and there are some mild paves hills it is used on. But I need to know the best way to travel as far as possible on a charge, so that she can travel to a friend's home and back on a single charge. Thanks again
                  I assume you kept the 05.
                  You have a few choices but as stated is speed what you want for a 13 year old? Just saying. Safety wise I would let here drive it as is and get use to it.
                  sigpic
                  I'm here to help!
                  There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

I fixed the cart I had; which is 2005 txt / pds 36v. After riding some, it has plenty of speed for a 13yr old. I did upgrade to a 300A controller; and purchased freedom plug (too fast) and the steep hill plug. I cannot determine what the Steep Hill plug is supposed to do; as I can tell no difference going up or down hills. The Freedom plug simply allows the cart's top end speed to go too fast. I need to determine the best option to enable the cart to be driven the longest distance (from home to golf course/pool & back); considering some hills that will be encountered. I would like to feel confident the cart can make it to the golf course / pool and back without the batttery going dead before reaching back home. We have driven it between 1/2 and 3/4 the distance to the golf course and back and the battery indicator only dropped 2 bars; but in a perfect world, I would like to drive to the golf course/play 9 holes/ & return home. But that may be too much to expect on battery. It's about 2.5 miles from home to the course/pool with minimal hills

Comment

Factory PDS model.
                      Stock 36 v -300amp controller with chip Harness installed.

Batteries setup stock.

I always put the batteries in the stock location if possible so there is no ? about them later if it needs work done to it.

The steep hill chip will keep the batteries charged longer than any other chip. The speed should be reduced slittly but not much. The steep hill will act as if you are putting on the brake when you let off the gas pedal. The controller see no pedal action and will kick the regan brake on to stop a run away cart. This does nothing for torque are speed it's only a safety peice so if the cart is left on a hill without the park brake applied it want roll off.
                      Updated by andy4639; January 9, 2012, 01:43 PM.
                      sigpic
                      I'm here to help!

Comment

Golf carts with good batteries should be able to run 54 holes but at least 36 holes.
                        I can drive my cart 1 1/2 miles to the course, do 18 holes, drive home and still be able to drive another 10 miles around the neighborhood with the lights on.
                        It sounds a little like one or more of your batteries may be a bit of a question mark for your run time.
                        Updated by dougmcp; January 9, 2012, 03:28 PM.

Comment

With a good set of batteries you should get a easy 20 miles out of it. If you have the steep hill chip in it use that while at the golf course. Then flip it to speed on the way home.
                          Try the steep hill chip and go wide open then take your foot completely off the go pedal it should throw you forward with the cart coming to a stop. Well at least my 04 would. I hated it but it sent the most juice back to the batteries and it would keep a charge the longest.

You may want to take the chip out completely and this is All Terrian mode. It will slow the cart down some not much but some.
                          sigpic
                          I'm here to help!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well, my daughter was out cruising and called to say she was stuck. I found her and here's the problem:

The battery gauge said about 1/2 power but wouldn't run. She said it just quit out of the blue. When I pressed the gas pedal, it started going for a split second then stopped. When I press the pedal after that, all I get is the click (solenoid I think?) but nothing else. So I had to yow it home. There too may be another problem. I turned the PDS switch under the seat to "tow/maintenance"; but when we got home, the cart had a horrible burn smell. She said she didn't have the break on and I went very slow. So I don't know if I've burned up the motor or gears or what; if anything.

I haven't done anything with it since getting home. So I guess my 1st question is what could've made the Cart stop running? Any my next question would be what has caused the burning smell from towing it? With my luck, I've trashed it after putting all that time and $$ in restoring it.

I did replace the controller a couple weeks ago with a higher amp one but got directly from EZGO; and it had run fine until today. Can anyone help?

Comment

First off what meter does it have in it? You said it reads half. If that's a anologe meter then it's dead.
                                  Take a volt meter and check voltage.

If it reads 36 volts then the batteries are dead. It needs to be charged. If you can read it with the wheels off the ground and gas pedal pressed. If it falls under 30 volts then they are very dead.

As far as the controller you sure you put in tow and not run?
                                  The toggle switch may not be working. It's hard to say without seeing it.
                                  sigpic
                                  I'm here to help!

Comment

bad connection?

Comment

looks good

Comment

Duane01's post moved to the Ezgo section: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/ezgo-e...s-duane01.html

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                        X