Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter turns slow

Hello
    I am new to golf carts I just purchased a 1990 club car gas with pick up bed for farm work. The starter/generator seems to be having problems. Sometimes it turns over good other times it barely moves. I have replaced the battery and brushes in the starter/generator. This happens even when the battery is in full charge state. It also does this in neutral. Before I spend the loot on a new starter there is something I do not understand is the belt clutch always engaged? Even with the engine off? The cart tries to move when the starter engages. Shouldn’t the belt clutch slip until the motor starts and gains some rpms? I am concerned the clutch is my problem, although it functions well when the motor starts. The clutch belt is new. The cart has rebuilt motor but has high hours on drive train (3000 hrs). Any help with this would be appreciated. How about used parts out there for a 1990 club car gas.

Hey, don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of it. Starters aren't typically the culprit in these situations for this model, so let's explore a couple of other possibilities first.

Let's check the belt tension on your belt. A loose or worn out belt belt can cause inconsistent starting performance. It should only have a slight amount of give, but not too much. If it feels loose, you'll want to tighten it up for proper engagement. You can usually adjust the tension by loosening the bolts on the belt tensioner, adjusting the position, and then tightening it back up. It's also worth considering the condition of your battery. Even if it's relatively new, a weak or faulty battery can cause starting issues. I'd recommend swapping it out with a known good battery to see if that makes a difference.

Lastly, let's take a look at your electrical connections. Dirty or loose connections can disrupt the flow of power and cause starting problems. Take some time to inspect all the wires and connections, giving them a gentle tug to ensure they're secure. Clean any dirty connections with a wire brush or some electrical contact cleaner. Also, be sure to feel around for any connections or components that might be getting unusually hot to the touch, as this could indicate a potential issue. Let me know if you have any further questions or if there's anything else I can assist with.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X