Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting OBC on Club Car

Overview
    Club Car uses an On Board Computer (OBC) to monitor and control various functions of their carts. It functions as a Go/No Go control for the charging and drive systems. If the OBC detects a problem in either the charging or drive system, it will shut that feature off. When the fault clears, the OBC is supposed to re-enable that system.
    Sometimes, the OBC will not clear a fault. When this happens, it can cause the controller to not power up or the solenoid will not engage. The act of removing the controller from the cart will cause a soft reset of the OBC when the battery power is removed. With the battery power removed, the internal capacitors discharge and clear any faults. When the new controller is installed, everything works fine and the controller is considered bad, even though the problem was in the OBC. It is possible to manually reset the OBC to verify that it is not the problem. In any situation where the controller did not obviously fail, but it just stopped the OBC needs to be reset first. The reset process is easy to do, but can take a fair amount of time.

Resetting the OBC
    To reset the OBC the following must be done in this order:
    • Key Switch to Off
    • Forward/Reverse to Neutral
    • Tow/Run Switch to Tow
    • Disconnect the Battery NEGATIVE (–) wire from the Battery Minus terminal on the battery pack.
    • Put the Tow/Run to Run
    • Forward/Reverse Switch to Reverse
    • Key Switch to On
    • Lock the throttle pedal down
    The reverse buzzer will sound and go off in about 30 seconds. Leave the cart like that for 5 min to allow the OBC to reset.
    To reconnect the OBC back into the system:
    • Key Switch to Off
    • Forward/Reverse Switch to Neutral
    • Tow/Run switch to Tow
    • Reconnect the Battery – wire to the battery minus terminal on the battery pack.
    • Tow/Run switch to Run

Once the OBC has been reset, you can then troubleshoot the cart. There is always a chance the OBC has completely failed and the reset process will not fix the problem. Consult your Club Car manuals for more detailed info on testing the OBC.
    Updated by dougmcp; September 9, 2011, 11:45 AM.

This is good information to know. I was just wondering what the acronym OBC meant. Thanks for the explanation.

ZackMan

Comment

What if the cart has no tow/run switch?

Comment

Posted earlier by Guiedoboy View Post
        What if the cart has no tow/run switch?
        It's probably a series cart and only the 48v carts have an OBC, the 36v carts do not.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
          It's probably a series cart and only the 48v carts have an OBC, the 36v carts do not.
          Doug I have a 48 volt cart that I just posted about in the C/C section. It doesn't have the run tow switch either. I've been wondering maybe that's what is wrong with it but the directions say nothing of a cart without the switch.
          Do yo know of anything else that would work to try this?
          sigpic
          I'm here to help!
          There is no substitute for Voltage!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X