g16 coil testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g16 coil testing

After testing my used coil by having no wire on the 1/4 spade and spinning the flywheel. I purchased a new coil and tested the same way and still nothing. My question is, do I need 12 volts on the coil to make spark?? Is the 12 volt comming through the blue wire to the coil??

I totally get how frustrating that can be. To answer your question, yes, you do need 12 volts on the coil to generate spark. However, the ignition system is standalone and doesn't require any other power source. The blue wire is primarily used to ground the system out to shut it off. Disconnecting that wire removes the possibility of it being the problem.

Onto troubleshooting: If you haven't already, try resetting and reconnecting everything then grounding the threaded portion of the spark plug to the engine and crank the engine while watching the plug tip for spark. If you still don't see spark, look below the valve cover at the base of the engine for a white plug with blue and black wires. Unplug it and check for spark again. If you now have spark, it means the coil is good, and the issue may lie with the "ignition kill" relay or its wiring near the solenoid and voltage regulator. However, if you still don't have spark after unplugging the white plug, it's likely that the T.C.I. (coil) is faulty. It might sound counterintuitive to unplug it first, but this ignition system operates by producing spark whenever the crank is spinning, only being prevented from sparking when the "ignition kill" relay grounds the coil. By unplugging the 2 wire plug at the front bottom of the engine with blue and black wires, you should consistently have spark. If you're still experiencing issues, it's probable that the coil is indeed bad. A word of caution: avoid purchasing aftermarket coils, as they tend to have a high failure rate. Approximately 25% of them don't work out of the box, and 75% fail within 6 months. It's a gamble you might not want to take, considering the time and effort spent changing parts and chasing refunds. Best of luck with your troubleshooting, I hope this helps you get your spark issue sorted out!

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X