Exhaust leak ,Ezgo gas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust leak ,Ezgo gas.

I have an older model Ezgo 2 cycle gas cart ,the problem is I keep blowing out the gasket where the header pipe bolts the motor ,has anybody else had this problem? any fixes? I'm new to this forum & fairly new to working on golf carts. any help would be appreciated.

Hi james. It is because you are not bolting the pipe down flush with the metal, not tight enough and not evenly.
    Regards

Comment

Well ,I have tried a few different things ,at first I used lock tight on the threads of the studs where they screw into the block thinking they were backing out , next I tried using a bolt on the one side I could get to & then tightened the crap out of the nut & bolt ,it seems to get worse the more I work on it ,I tried pulling the pipe & checking the edge for straightness ,I cleaned it & the mtr real good ,2 days later my leak is back. I would just run a pipe out the back but it would be to load. Thanks.

Comment

It 100% is not being mounted flush, the only possible other reason it is breaking would be if you are not using the correct gasket but i am sure you are. You might have to run the edge along a flat belt sander to level it out, or purchase a new exhaust manifold. Dont be tightening it with all your might, because all you will do is snap a bolt or strip something out.
        Regards

Comment

Mine use to do the same thing and a GC mechanic suggested I use two gaskets instead of one.

Problem solved, I also put red RTV on them.
          sigpic
          'The DiamondBak'
          95 Jacobsen GXJ810D

Comment

Well I took advice from both post ,I took the pipe to the belt sander to get a good flat surface on it ,I was going to double up the gasket but I didn't like the thin ones I was getting from the golf cart shop ,I'm a car nut at heart & this gasket looked familer to me ,the exhaust manifold gasket for a Small block chevy was the same( early years 1957-1976) I used to put these on cars that I was using headers on. I put two of them on the cart ,fit great bolted right up. so far so good. nice & quiet ,no leaks.Thanks.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X