Axle Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Play

On my 1988 Marathon, I got the passenger brake drum off and I note that the axle can move about 3mm (a bit less than 1/8") back and forth. The passenger side axle has no play. The bearing looks "OK". Not sure what the cause could be. Is 3mm ok? Thanks!

Just looked closer at the grime near the bearing....little tiny flecks of metal I think. Probably bad bearing. Is any play acceptable? Thanks

Comment

Hi, check that the bearing is intact and functioning properly. With the bearing in good shape and the C-clip securely fastened, your axle shaft isn't going anywhere, it's staying put. A slight amount of axial in and out movement can be considered normal. It all comes down to the axle shaft design. There's this tapered section tucked away behind the bearing. That, along with the bearing and C-clip is what keeps it all in place.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Regards

Comment

The bearing races look tight--no axial movement when I push the axle in and out. Outer C-clip looks good. Thinking I will leave it alone....

Comment

It appears you've done a thorough inspection and everything seems to be in good order. Appreciate the followup. I'm in the process of finalizing an article on bearing replacement, as this topic hasn't been extensively covered yet, which will be beneficial for anyone in need of a replacement in the future.
          Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X