My Engine quit and can't get it running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Engine quit and can't get it running

I have an 88 EZGO that ran fine, then one day it quit. I checked and have spark and compression. It seemed I wasn't getting fuel so I took the carb off and found all passages open. The fuel pump was weak, so I filled the carb with gas and even with that, the engine wont do a thing. The strange thing to me is that I don't find any suction at all at the intake. I'm not experienced at all with cart engines, but have years of experience working on 4 cycle engines in tractors and larger equipment. I can't see any way this motor will run with weak or no intake suction. I really don't know where to go from here and was hoping maybe someone here could give me some ideas. Thanks

Check the compression, around 130 PSI is good. Let me know what you get and we will go from there
    Regards

Comment

Well,,, I solved the mystery. First I checked compression it was 100#, so that's not terrible, but not quite what it should be so I preceeded to take the motor out. I got it out and didn't see any extrenal damage or reason for the poor suction issue so I started taking it apart and found the trouble. When I took off the flywheel, there was the oil seal, just hanging loose on the shaft. It appears the guy who "rebuilt" the engine didn't quite get the seal in properly. Since I have the engine out, I'm going to rebore the cylinder and put a new piston and rings in it to bring the compresssion up where it should be.

Comment

That'll do it, thanks for the update and best of luck with the new rebuild!!
        Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X