2004 Gas Txt sputters at starts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 Gas Txt sputters at starts?

My problem is at the start position. I put the gas pedal to the floor and the cart sputters and pops. It never did this before and I bought it new in 05. It inches along and won't go unless I choke it. After I choke it you can smell gas like it is flooding. The only way it goes without choking is if I gently step on the gas and give it time to fire than it takes off no problem. All my friends have carts and I have to make sure I am at the end of the lineup at every tee box. Once it goes I have the fastest cart off them all. Very frustrating. I have taken it to 2 service shops and it runs good for about 9 holes than the problem is back. Any help would be greatle appreciated.

Here are some things to check out. Take apart the intake and make sure the air filter is clean, and make sure that the breather hose for the crank case is still attached and in place. Your problem usually happens when your valves are out of adjustment, it can't hurt to readjust them yourself.

The correct setting is .004 - .006 inches on all 4 valves. But what you can do is take off the plastic cover on top of the engine, start by looking at 1 valve and turning the engine over by hand until the lobe on the cam shaft is pointing down. See attached picture.

Now loosen the lock nut and then the adjuster screw until all the pressure is off of it. Now tighten the adjuster screw until it becomes snug again. RIGHT when it gets snug do not continue to tighten! Back off and loosen it up 1/4 of a turn, you will now have a setting very close to .005". Tighten the lock nut making sure that the adjuster screw does not turn and loose its position. Repeat for the next 3 valves.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Comment

Nice looking cart by the way
      Regards

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. It looks a little different now. Those rims were stolen and now I have chrome rims and xm on the cart. I had the cart serviced on 3/18/09 and the service shop said he set the valves after I explained the problem. At least that is what they wrote on my receipt. It ran for about 18 holes that day without incident and then the problem returned and I did not call them back. I probably should but I don't want to keep upsetting my wife with golf cart maintenance fees.

Comment

If you find yourself continuously having to adjust the valves, that is a sign that it may be time for a top end rebuild. Unfortunately that could get costly. :/
          Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X