Electrical problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problem?

My golf cart will not start. It has a brand new battery. I can charge the battery over night and it will run a few hours and then will not start. I just charged it overnight last week and did not run it after charging and it sat for a week and would not start. What could be draining the battery? I had the starter/ generator checked and it is putting out 12-13 volts.

Thanks,
    Chris

I'm an electric guy not a gas guy but I was under the impression that the gas carts should put out 14v-16v from the generator.
    I don't know what year your cart is but I pulled this from an Ezgo service manual:
    c) Check for charging voltage as follows:
    1) Raise the vehicle (see procedure in Section B) so that both rear wheels are free to rotate.
    2) With the engine off, measure the voltage at the battery’s terminals by placing the negative (-) probe on the negative (-) post and the positive (+) probe on the positive (+) post of the battery. Note the reading.
    3) Attach the DC voltmeter across the regulator’s red and black leads.
    4) Start the engine and accelerate to governed speed.
    5) The meter should read higher than before starting the engine. In a reasonable amount of time, the reading should settle between 14 and 15 volts, indicating the regulator is functioning properly.
    6) If no increase over battery voltage is observed, there is a malfunction in the charging circuit.
    7) If the reading is above 15 volts, check to assure the wiring harness and generator field winding (green lead) is not grounded. If it is not, replace the regulator.
    8 If the reading is below 14 volts, disconnect the regulator’s green field wire from the system harness. Temporarily connect the green field wire to ground.
    If the voltage rises above its prior reading, replace the regulator.
    9) If the above procedures do not correct the problem, check for faults in the vehicles wiring harness and/or generator.
    Updated by dougmcp; December 6, 2011, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Sounds like just a bad battery
      Regards

Comment

Thank you, but this is the second brand new battery. The first one had a dead cell and I took it back and exchanged it for this one.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
          I'm an electric guy not a gas guy but I was under the impression that the gas carts should put out 14v-16v from the generator.
          I don't know what year your cart is but I pulled this from an Ezgo service manual:
          Thank you for your suggestion. My cart is a 1996 EZ GO TXT. Do you have a wiring diagram for that? I do not even know if it has a regulator. This cart is at my grandma's house in GA and I am working in FL this week. I will be up there next weekend and I would like to try to resolve this issue when I am there and she has no internet available. Once again thanks for your help.

Comment

I'm not sure I have the wiring diagram for the 96 TXT gas, let me look around and see what I have.
            A couple more posts (you need 5) and you will have access to the wiring diagrams and service manuals here in this forum.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
              I'm not sure I have the wiring diagram for the 96 TXT gas, let me look around and see what I have.
              A couple more posts (you need 5) and you will have access to the wiring diagrams and service manuals here in this forum.
              Thank you very much for that info. You have been a great help! Let me know if you find the diagram.

Comment

2 cyl ez go has weak fire on both cyl 98 model eh29c engine

Comment

cm4dux, start a new thread explaining your issue and all pertinent information about your buggie and problem

Colton

Comment

Colton I have a 98 EZ+GO I just got that belongs to a friend I tried to start it but the fire is so weak it wont start I am going to check my voltage and see what it is and I will get back up with you . Thanks

Comment

sounds like battery may have a dead cell

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X