Weak and won't climb hills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak and won't climb hills

Just bought a 1999 Workhorse with a Robin engine. It runs ok but no power. I noticed the fuel filter hardly has any fuel in it when running the engine. I can barely see any. Is this normal? I appreciate any advice and help.

This thing won't climb a hill.....

Thanks,

My cushman has that engine and when I got it, the same thing: no power. It was a dog! I cleaned the plugs and it was like a new engine. My fuel filter likewise seems to be 'empty' when the engine is running.
    Gimpy

Comment

Thanks,
      I'm cleaning the plugs next....

Comment

Cleaned the plugs and runs no better.....
        I think it's a carburator problem?

What should I try next?

Comment

Yep common with the fuel filter having barely any gas in it, not the issue though. The real questions is.... it is not climbing a hill, is the motor running well and it is just not climbing the hill? Maybe this is a clutch problem.

Or

Is the motor bogging out... maybe it has low compression, bad fuel, dry-rotted gas lines or the carb is dirty with a unset fuel air mixture screw.
          Regards

Comment

I can see the clutch mechanisms opening and closing with throttling. Although the belt has slipped some.

The engine seems to run sluggish. It will not go up hills. It trys but just revs.........
            It acts as if it won't open up and go??
            It back fires some.

When adjusting valves, do you turn the lobes down?

What's the little adjuster stem on the very top of the carburator looking down on top of it from above?

Comment

I can see the clutch mechanisms opening and closing with throttling. Although the belt has slipped some.

The engine seems to run sluggish. It will not go up hills. It trys but just revs.........
              It acts as if it won't open up and go??
              It back fires some.
              Engine sounds like it could use a tune up and a good carburetor clean, also seems like you'd benefit from a new drive belt.

When adjusting valves, do you turn the lobes down?
              I wouldn't touch the valves unless it is a LAST resort. Adjusting the valves on these old worn in motors can blow out the valve seals, making you burn oil and stuck with a rebuild.

What's the little adjuster stem on the very top of the carburator looking down on top of it from above?
              air fuel mixture screw should be set at 1.5 turns open from full shut.
              Regards

Comment

If this is like most small engine carbs when setting the mixture screw DO NOT TIGHTEN HARD. You can damage the needle and seat very easily. Tighten until you just feel resistance and back out from there. Keep in mind that you may have to tweak it a bit still; that the one-and-a-half turns is the starting point. Matti, any comment?
                Gimpy

Comment

"I wouldn't touch the valves unless it is a LAST resort. Adjusting the valves on these old worn in motors can blow out the valve seals, making you burn oil and stuck with a rebuild".

I wish I would have read that comment about 2 hours ago....
                  I adjusted them using .004, they took a little adjustment. It does climb a little better now.

Going to the carb now....

Thanks fellas for the replies....

Comment

Posted earlier by wbg View Post
                    "I wouldn't touch the valves unless it is a LAST resort. Adjusting the valves on these old worn in motors can blow out the valve seals, making you burn oil and stuck with a rebuild".

I wish I would have read that comment about 2 hours ago....
                    I adjusted them using .004, they took a little adjustment. It does climb a little better now.

Going to the carb now....

Thanks fellas for the replies....
                    Glad it helped a bit, but it is always best to keep the valves set the way they are unless you really need to.

Here is the diagram for the ezgo carburetor http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...r-diagram.html
                    Regards

Comment

I do have loss of power and blowing smoke under torque or high rev.

Comment

Posted earlier by BenjaminMSnyder View Post
                        I do have loss of power and blowing smoke under torque or high rev.
                        Yea you will probably need that rebuild book, make 2 more posts and you will be able to view the diagrams section.
                        Regards

Comment

Thanks, I look forward to seeing the inside of my Robin350C.
                          This site is the best site I have come across that helps keep the cart enthusist connected to the information taht matters.

Comment

Thank you, we appreciate the positive feedback
                            Regards

Comment

Is there numbers on the pistons to tell if it is oversize? Thanks in advance... HV

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              X