No gas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No gas ?

We have a 94 EZ at the camp ground Only gets used in summer and not much then. Some times it runs good some times not at all.
    About 2 years ago I changed the fuel pump because I see little or no gas in the filter. I think the engine is not giveing enough "pulse" to make the pump worke right. With 1/2 a tank it will not pick up. Full tank it works better. How I check the pulse line and what reading should I have on suck and pressure?

Hi george, they usually look like they have no fuel in the filter, that is just how it is. Disconnect the main fuel inlet on the carburetor and press the pedal. Gas should shoot out.

I would figure it is a dirty main jet in the carburetor. When you use the choke does it improve?
    Regards

Comment

No gas pumps if the tank is low maybe 1/2 or less but when I blow in the hose I hear boubles so it is not a blockage or pick-up problem.
      Workes better wit a full tank. Choke doesn't do much. It will not push enough gas to start. Acts like pump is week or bad but it's not too old not that has to mean anything.

Comment

Okay, if it will not pump when you press the pedal then you have a bad fuel pump. Or you have a pin hole, dryrotted hoses or pinholes somewhere in the fuel lines. Gas will pump and with force if the pump is working properly and sealed up right. And you're not getting that. So here's what you do, first replace all fuel lines with approved fuel lines. Then purchase a OEM fuel pump, or if you are familiar with the workings purchase a rebuild kit for your current pump.

Of course, if this does not fix your problem, chances are it is a float problem. When the cart stalls out, try dropping the bowl of the carburetor, is there any fuel in there? If not, you can either take apart the carburetor and fix it, or replace the whole thing, preferably with a OEM carburetor since aftermarket carbs are junk.
        Regards

Comment

Not much on either side like a weak pump but knowing how the pump works I am thinking a weak engine will make a weak pulse so the pump will be weak. Like I said the pump isn't that old maybe 100 hours max on it. Hoses are all good/new. I am a mechanic just not skilled in golf carts.
          Is there numbers for pump vac - pressure and what pressure/ vac the pulse should be at. I'm thinking even a crankcase leak will screw it up.
          Next plan if I don't find anything is small electric like Thermo King did with the Onan. There again I should know what pressure the carb likes.

GEORGE!!

Comment

150 psi on each cylinder for compression. Cant pressure test the fuel line, it will be so low that it wont even register, it just doesn't work like that.
            Regards

Comment

There has to be a # and a gauge to check it. The measure the air pressure in an air duct and that is low sometimes. Suction, below in of Merc they have In of water column. I have gauges that can measure when you blow in the hose a few in from your mouth.
              Should be somthing in writeing somewere. I hate changeing parts just to try them.

Comment

Let me know how it goes
                Regards

Comment

I worked on it a few weeks back and got it running OK. I use a pressure vacum gauge and showed both comming off the engine powering the pump. I used the Mighty Vac to pull a vac on the power side of the pump and it didn't hold any. I figured at that point the diaghfram is junk. I installed the automotime electric pump . I believe it put out about 3 - 5 lbs prsssure. The carb leaked some going around corners wo I pulled it and played with float adj. A real PIA with that spring on the top. I used the M Vac again set to pressure to check the valve would open and close and hold pressure. I put it up to about 8 pounds with light pressure on the float.
                  She put a few hours on it this weekend with no problem. More balls that we ever remember so I guess my ideas worked.
                  Posted earlier by Matti View Post
                  Let me know how it goes

Comment

Great work George, why is it that you decided to replace the fuel pump with an electric one and not replace it with a factory pump?
                    Regards

Comment

It was half the price and the other one didn't last too long. Cart sits most of the ime as it is at the camp ground and only gets used about 8 weekends a year.
                      It never had as much power before so I'm thinking it never got enough gas. I'm also thinking the engine could be a bit tired not makeing the pump work right and since I couldn't find real specs on what kind of pulse I should get on the hose I thought I couldn't go wrong with 12 volt. It starts better too because as soon as you turn the key and tramp on the gas it begins pumping full unlike the other set-up. Takes less choke too after it starts. No signs of gan in the oil or exhaust so I think it is doing well.

Comment

Interesting, thank you for the information and glad to see you got some more power out of it.
                        Regards

Comment

btt

Comment

Interesting comment about having to get it going with the choke. I have a similar situation; maybe electric IS the way to go. After I have run it a bit it will do fine the rest of the day but I have noticed that since I fixed the diaphragm in the pump the choke is not needed AS MUCH
                            Gimpy

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            X