G14 valves and clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G14 valves and clutch

i have a g14 that has a stutter on take off, sounds like a soft backfire through the carb, also i think the valves need adjusting so specs and procedure on that would be appreciated, the next thing it has clutch chatter especially from a dead stop on a hill but sometimes does it on the flat,chatters so bad it trys to shake the cart apart, everything else is perfect, custom paint, 4in lift 20in tires, functional dual exhausts, the problems were there before the mods so now i am working on making it work perfect, i am thinking of removing the drive clutch cover, what should i look for as far as wear to cause the chatter, thanks

Sometimes the clutch wears in so much over the years, the V shape where the belt is (between the 2 clutch sheaves) wears out, and it turns into a U instead of a V. This leads to vibrations. If it looks fine and not worn out, you might have to take it apart and have a look at all the pieces.

Sounds like you have a nice looking cart now As for the intake backfires, make sure you have the entire intake sealed up and the air box is too with no leaks or holes. Yamaha's are very sensitive to any air leaks. If the problem still persists, try adjusting the valves.

Turn the engine so it is top dead center and take off the valve cover. Check the gasket in there and if it is worn out, get a new one before reassembly. Next, adjust the valves to .004". When you are finished, install the valve cover first snugging it and then tightening it in a criss-cross pattern.
    Regards

Comment

I have a 1999 ez go-txt with a 295 robin engine. could you tell me what the intake and exhaust valve settings are ? thanks ! I've rebuilt the engine and just need these spec's to finish up.
      Updated by shaneschuy@aol.com; January 18, 2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

EZGO calls for .004 cold on the EZGO valve lash. Some guys like setting them at .006 cold.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        X