EZ Go I need some expert advice PLEASE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ Go I need some expert advice PLEASE

I have an EZ Go (about a '95-'97 or so model) It will only run a few minutes on a full charge. The batteries seem fine, tested them (as well as I could with a 6v/12v load tester. The voltage seems ok on each battery but after a full charge, it will only run for a few minutes and then it just starts shuttering under a load. On flat ground it will go, but very slow.

A local shop told me that I could replace the 6 6v set up and replace them with 5 8v. He said the 4 extra volts would not hurt anything and he does it all the time, so I did it. I swapped him my 6 6v for 5 8v (Used, not new or refurbs) because i thought the batteries were my problem. It is still doing the exact same thing.

Please somebody help me out. Thanks in advance.

The shuddering is an indication of a low charge, one or more bad batteries, bad cables, loose/corroded connections or a combination of any or all.
    Your cart is designed to work on 6v batteries, nothing less.
    A 6v battery that is fully charged will read 6.37v or better, a completely depleted 6v battery will read 5.75v.
    The 5.8v batteries this guy is giving you are already dead when they are fully charged and your battery charger will not work on them.
    Your local shop that told you to put 5.8v batteries in your cart is full of it, I would get your money back from the battery shop and go somewhere else.
    I don't know where you live so all I can suggest if you need batteries and have a budget problem is go to one of the golf cart dealers in your area and buy a used set of 6v batteries for your cart. You should be able to get a decent set for $150-$200.

Comment

Thanks. I live in Sparta Ga. We are close to Augusta so everything "golf cart" tends to be pricey.

I was worried about that being the case but he seemed like a "likeable old man" you know? He assured me that I could use the 8v batteries that he had done it several times in the past with no problems. Oh well.

My Precedent runs on 4 12volt batteries, will the 36V Ez Go do it on 3 12v? I just want to get it into condition so I can sell it. I dont want to take advantage of anyone but I dont want to sink a lot of money into batteries either. Used batteries are prolific in this area; we have a lot of golf cart operations around. How can you tell you are getting a good set of batteries?

Comment

Posted earlier by deertricker View Post
        Used batteries are prolific in this area; we have a lot of golf cart operations around. How can you tell you are getting a good set of batteries?
        The cart shop has the ability to test them before they sell them to you or you can use your load tester. If you put the load tester on them just watch for a rapid voltage drop.
        In the end, it's not that important if you're selling the cart anyway.
        Updated by dougmcp; October 2, 2011, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Agreed. Will the 3 12v set up work in that cart like my 48v (4 12v) CC?

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
            The cart shop has the ability to test them before they sell them to you or you can use your load tester. If you put the load tester on them just watch for a rapid voltage drop.
            In the end, it's not that important if you're selling the cart anyway.
            "The cart shop has the ability to test them before they sell them to you"--The shops in my area have the reputation that you had better know what your talking about or they will rip you off. Carts are very competitive in this area and the business is cutthroat. The internet and CL is full of cart scammers in this part of GA. I clearly found one of them to add to the list.

"If you put the load tester on them just watch for a rapid voltage drop." Does this indicate a good battery or a bad battery? That probably sounds like a dumb question but thats why Im pickin your brain.. you're the expert in this relationship.

Thanks

Comment

Yes it will run but that is not the right way to go and nobody wins here.
              The cart needs 6x6v batteries.
              Get the old batteries back and maybe just replace whichever ones are bad with some used ones.

Comment

Does a fast voltage drop during a load test indicate that a battery is good or bad?

Comment

You will see the difference between a good battery and one with a bad cell in the rate the voltage drops. A good battery will drop initially and then slowly fade, a bad battery will drop and continue to drop quickly.
                  You could just put the load tester you have on the battery hold the load on for 45 seconds then release and see where it comes back to as well.

Comment

Thanks Doug I appreciate all your help.

Comment

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X