Protech-C 4815 Charge Profile...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protech-C 4815 Charge Profile...

Well, I hated to start a new thread. But couldn't find what I needed searching, and calling Protech-C left me as unanswered as before.

I just converted the cart to 48V because it needed batteries, and a new charger anyway. I purchased the Protech-C 4815 charger.

It has 3 charge profiles, but profile #3 is for AGM batteries, and I have regular flooded lead-acid batteries.

I bought eight 6V batteries from Sam's. They are Deka batteries made by East Penn Manufacturing, and branded Duracell (from what I have been able to figure out). There must be some contract from Duracell for East Penn to make batteries for them.

I called the Factory as directed by the owner's manual. The guy on the line sounds like he's shuffling through info to find something regarding the 4815. I tell him which batteries I have. He said, "Well, you should be safe running Profile 1." I said, hmmm, I've been running Profile 2. He said, "Profile 2 would be OK also." Which basically meant, he didn't know what the answer was, and I was beating a dead horse. So I let it go.

About the 2 charging profiles, the owner's manual states:

Profile 1: Flooded (Lead-Acid)

Battery Manufacturers: Trojan, Crown, Discover, Exide

48V Charge Profile: 60.0V Absorption, 54.0V Float

Battery Information: Water filled (with or without removable caps)

Profile 2: Flooded (Lead-Acid)

Battery Manufacturers: US Battery, Interstate

48V Charge Profile: 61.99V Absorption, 52.08V Float

Battery Information: Water filled (with or without removable caps)

Any help would be appreciated.

JyRO

Profile 1 with its absorption voltage set at 60.0V and float voltage at 54.0V, follows a conservative approach to charging flooded lead acid batteries. The absorption voltage represents the point at which the charger transitions from the bulk charging phase to the absorption charging phase. During absorption, the battery is charged at a constant voltage while the current gradually decreases, allowing the battery to reach full capacity without overcharging. The lower absorption voltage of 60.0V creates a gentler charging process, reducing the risk of overcharging and electrolyte loss, which is particularly important for flooded lead acid batteries filled with water. The float voltage of 54.0V maintains the battery's charge at a lower level during the float charging phase, which helps prevent overcharging and minimizes gassing, extending the battery's lifespan.

In contrast, Profile 2 features slightly higher voltage settings, with an absorption voltage of 61.99V and a float voltage of 52.08V. This profile adopts a more aggressive charging approach, aiming for faster charging times and potentially higher charging efficiency. The higher absorption voltage of 61.99V allows the battery to absorb more energy at a faster rate during the absorption phase, speeding up the charging process. However, this increased charging rate also comes with a higher risk of overcharging, which can lead to electrolyte loss, heat generation, and accelerated battery degradation over time. The lower float voltage of 52.08V maintains the battery at a lower state of charge during the float phase, which helps mitigate the risk of overcharging but may result in a slight reduction in stored energy compared to Profile 1.

Profile 1 should be used on batteries designed with specifications aligned with more conservative charging practices. This includes flooded lead acid batteries designed to withstand gentler charging processes and lower voltage levels. These batteries should have adequate electrolyte levels to withstand the absorption phase without risk of overcharging or electrolyte loss. Additionally batteries with higher capacity ratings may benefit from Profile 1's slower charging approach, allowing for more thorough charging without excessive stress on the battery. Profile 2, with its slightly higher voltage settings, may be better suited for batteries designed to handle faster charging rates and higher voltage levels. This could include flooded lead acid batteries with robust construction and higher charge acceptance capabilities. Additionally, the requirements of the application play a role, for example, if faster charging times are necessary, Profile 2 may be preferable, but if battery longevity is the primary concern, Profile 1's more conservative approach may be more suitable.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
    X