starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problems

I have a 98 Club car with a gas engine. I have spark and gas. all it does is turn over. what am I doing wrong? The starter generator was turning counter clock wise and we had that turn clock wise. I tought that was the problem, it wasn't.
    Updated by ihvfdskip; July 23, 2009, 08:51 PM.

To run, your motor needs fuel, spark and compression. What is your compression right now? Also, what happened to the cart that made it stop running in the first place? Finally, are you sure that your golf cart is a 1998?
    Regards

Comment

starting problems

Maybe I'm going about the starting problem the wrong way. Does the club car have to be moving for the engine to start? If so I need to get the engine clutch working properly. everything spins, but the clutch is not closing in on the belt.

Comment

Posted earlier by ihvfdskip View Post
        Maybe I'm going about the starting problem the wrong way. Does the club car have to be moving for the engine to start? If so I need to get the engine clutch working properly. everything spins, but the clutch is not closing in on the belt.
        Nope, the engine has a self sustaining magneto that produces the spark, as long as the starter/generator is spinning the engine, flywheel, it should run. Fuel pump is an impulse pump, runs off an impulse from the crankcase so as long as you have the three basics: fuel, air and spark, it will run. As for the clutch, as the engine builds speed the clutch will close, centrifical type clutch. The only way to stop a cart engine, is to ground out the magneto. Pull out the apark plug and ground it to the ebgine case and spin it over, should have spark, it not, you'll have to dig further into the engine. What year are we looking at?

Comment

Grumpy is correct on your second post, by the way i merged your 2 threads into 1. You can continue to post here and well help. Also, please answer the questions I asked a few posts above that will help us help you. Just click respond in the top left corner.
          Regards

Comment

My son was given the golf cart from a golf coarse in Indian Head Md. It didn't run when he received it. I just cleaned the carb. and I had already pulled the plug and grounded it to make sure it had spark. Its getting gas because when I choke the engine I hear it back fire in the carb. It has compression, but I'm not sure what it is because my compression gauge isn't working.

Comment

The making says its a 1998

Comment

I just double checked the compression by putting my finger over the spark plug hole. I can feel very little resistence coming from the plug hole.

Comment

Please double check the year. Look at the serial number tag under the passenger side glove box. The first two numbers that you see out of the whole code should be 98, because those are the 2 numbers that tell the year. If it is not 98, let me know what the numbers are.

You will need to borrow or get a compression gauge, because testing the compression with an exact measurement is a must.
                  Regards

Comment

The serial number is AG 9842 706360. I will get a compression gauge today. Thanks

Comment

I have no compression in the cylinder. I found out that I really didn't need to buy a new compression gauge. My old one was missing a value stem. It looks like I'm going to have to pull the engine and find out why I have no compression. The values look like they are opening and closing.

Thanks

Comment

Ok let us know
                        Regards

Comment

A re the values suppose to move the same amount of distance. I backed off on the what I think was the exhaust value and the spring came all the way up on the rocker arm. I was trying to see if the adjustment was right and I still couldn't get the feeler gauge in there.

Comment

engine diagram

where can I find an engine diagram

Comment

it runs

Thanks guys, I got it running and it runs fast. I needed a accelerator cable and its on order. There's one thing I'm concerned about, and that is a whining noise its making and it sounds like its coming from the starter generator. I think I know what the problem maybe. The pulley on the starter generator is out of round and I think its making the bearings whine. And how hot should the starter generator get? Thanks again you have been a lot of help. Oh I forgot, I took the head off and checked the values and cylinder and they looked good. I adjusted the values and made sure the push rods were in the correct hole and on the rockers. replaced the head adjusted the values and had good compression and fired it up and it ran.

Comment

Posted earlier by ihvfdskip View Post
                                Thanks guys, I got it running and it runs fast. I needed a accelerator cable and its on order. There's one thing I'm concerned about, and that is a whining noise its making and it sounds like its coming from the starter generator. I think I know what the problem maybe. The pulley on the starter generator is out of round and I think its making the bearings whine. And how hot should the starter generator get? Thanks again you have been a lot of help. Oh I forgot, I took the head off and checked the values and cylinder and they looked good. I adjusted the values and made sure the push rods were in the correct hole and on the rockers. replaced the head adjusted the values and had good compression and fired it up and it ran.
                                If it is out of round it could have gotten hit and now is rubbing when it spins. You might want to take the starter to an electric motor repair shop which is usually cheaper to fix them than buying a whole new starter. Glad to hear you got it running
                                Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                X