2008 Club Car Precedent Pro Gas intermittent start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Club Car Precedent Pro Gas intermittent start problem

We have a 2008 Club Car Precedent Pro Gas that just seems to have a mind of its own. Engine turns over great but it has a mind of its own when it comes to running.

We trailered it back to my garage the other day when it would not start but as soon as it was off the trailer it started and ran fine, tried again last night and it ran fine, tried this morning and no start. I have read some things about the coil being bad but to me it seems more like a ground issue. Where are the fail points in that system. I do not have the maintenance manual for it so any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like your Precedent is experiencing intermittent starting issues which can be frustrating. Generally, an engine requires three main components to run: fuel, spark, and compression.

Given that the engine occasionally starts and runs fine, it suggests that the compression is likely adequate. However, to further diagnose the problem, we want to verify that you're getting both fuel and spark consistently.

When the engine fails to start, try removing the spark plug and inspecting it. The spark plug should ideally have a nice brown color; if it appears wet, burned or blackened, it could indicate issues with spark, fuel delivery or combustion.

If the spark plug checks out, try funneling a drop or two of gasoline directly into the cylinder, then reinstall the plug and attempt to start. If it runs or attempts to run, you could be experiencing a fuel delivery problem. If it doesn’t attempt to start at all, it could be an issue with spark. See attached chart:

You do not have permission to view this gallery.

If you are a guest, you may be required to Log In or Sign Up to view.

This gallery has 1 photos.

Updated by golfcartg; February 6, 2024, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Spark plug looked ok when I pulled it yesterday, a little wet with gas. I am figuring that it is a spark issue and I am looking to track down the ground wire from the fwd and reverse speed limiters to see if it has worn thru at any spot. Just put it up on jack stands so I can get a look on the underside. I am looking for the correct pin outs on the ignition switch so I can see if that is releasing the ground when switch is in the run position.

Comment

I have the ignition switch out and the white/black wire which from what I can find is the ignition ground when the switch is in the OFF position is showing continuity to when disconnected from the switch. If I understand the limited wiring resources I have been able to find this would be a fault and the magneto would in fact be grounded therefore no spark.

Anyone have thoughts.

Could it be the speed controller(s) ? I have considered cutting the white wire that connects to the controllers and looks to go to the magneto.........good idea?

Comment

Just got an alert on this, it appears you're making progress in diagnosing the spark issue. The rev limiter, a small black box near the front of the engine, could indeed be causing the problem, especially if there was a misconnection. To address this locate the rev limiter and remove the brown wire from its mounting bracket. Make sure to tape it securely to prevent accidental contact. Then, check again for spark.

If spark still isn't present, you'll need to find the single black wire that connects to the ignition coil. This wire is usually linked to the rev limiter via a Y pigtail, which then joins with the white/black wire. Removing the rev limiter may be necessary to access this connection. Disconnect the black wire for now, you may need to ground this wire to the case if the engine starts and stays running to shut off the coil and stop the engine.

After disconnecting the black wire, recheck for spark. If spark is now present, it suggests a potential issue with the GCOR (Grounded Case Overload Relay), and replacing it should resolve the spark problem. However, if there's still no spark even after these steps, it indicates that the ignition coil itself has likely failed and will need to be replaced. Stay patient, stay focused, and don't hesitate to reach out again if needed.

Comment

Thanks for the assistance, I worked on Army Helicopters for 35 years and this was eye opening.

Removed Rev Limiter and got great spark and after reassembling everything else it started up and ran great. Drove it around the block several times slowly just to make sure everything was OK, nice that it was 48 degrees in mid Michigan.

Ordered a Rev Limiter! Some of the equipment installations on this cart are crazy stupid. Why bury the rev limiter under the engine unless it has some sort of accelerometer. which I bet it does not. Could have easily been mounted in plain view.

Thank you!

Comment

That's fantastic news! It's not uncommon for users to remove the rev limiter hastily, seeking a quick potential speed boost and inadvertently overlooking the consequences, like catastrophic engine failure. It's great to hear that your Club Car is up and running smoothly again. The mid Michigan weather must have added a pleasant touch to the test drive Kudos on ordering a new rev limiter

Comment

Show More Comments

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X