1992 DS gas hesitates when gas is pushed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 DS gas hesitates when gas is pushed

I have a 92 DS gas and when I push on the gas it hesitates about 2 seconds before it starts and runs perfectly. When I say hesitates I mean nothing happens - just silence for 2 seconds then takes off. Not a big issue but it never used to do this and I want to fix it before it gets worse. I had a spare spark plug so I gapped it and installed it. The old plug looked good and the new one made no difference. I had spare fuel filters so I put them in also and no difference. I looked at the control box with the micro switches-solenoid-fuse and all looked good there. I blew out the dust and sprayed the micro switches anyway. I pulled a couple of starter-generator brush covers and it was dirty inside so I blew that out. Probably original brushes so maybe they need replacing? The brushes on EBay say for CCW rotation motors only. Does the Club Car have different rotations? It is 290cc - 9HP.
    Brian
    Updated by samandtheduck; September 24, 2013, 08:26 PM.

Hesitation usually means a lean condition. But really need to know what motor? FE290? Many things can cause the hesitation. Dirty carburetor, air filter system leak, intake leak, valve adjustment, low compression to name a few.

Comment

could be the starter/gen. brushes, if they are worn down close to slot they fit in. Also check for a loose starter/gen. belt, weak battery, bad/loose connections at battery, starter/gen. and frame ground. Don't quote me but the fe290 was ccw rotation then changed to cw after around 1997.

Attached a parts book for your cart. check out page 57. item 23=Brushes are part# 1014699
      Attached Files

Comment

I ordered new brushes for the starter/generator and I will post the results when I change them. I didn't take the electrical connections apart but tried to move them when I was checking around and nothing seemed loose and nothing looked corroded. I can't think of anything else that would cause a delay or hesitation and then work perfect after starting. I might think about replacing micro switches if the brushes don't work.
        Brian
        Updated by samandtheduck; September 25, 2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I ordered brushes on EBay. Genuine Club Car brushes for 92-96 Club Car and they came with a longer connector that would contact the frame if installed and the slot for the spring at the top was a different angle. I emailed the supplier to see what is going on. I did however pull the old brushes out and found them to be a little less than 7/8" long and the new ones were only 1". The manual says replace at 5/8" so I don't think that is my issue. The commutator looked good so it hasn't been sparking or anything. Still have the hesitation.
          Brian

Comment

have you checked the battery?

Comment

I was thinking about the battery. When they fail in my car or truck they just won't start it but maybe it behaves differently in a golf cart. It is at least 5 years old.

Comment

I took the battery out and charged it up at home. The voltage is about 12.80 with no load. My battery tester is just the load type and when I put it on the voltage drops to 10V. I looked everywhere on the battery and can't find an amp hour rating but the guage says if it is 200 amp hours it is OK and if it is higher than 200 then it is in the weak range.
                Brian

Comment

The battery died over the winter so I went and got a good car battery and installed it. No more hesitation. I guess the battery was on it's way out and that was the problem.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Comment

Please log in or Sign Up to reply to this thread

Golf Carts Forum

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    X