runs rough have to choke most of the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runs rough have to choke most of the time

I have a club car AG946 gas DS bought it a few weeks ago was full of bad gas changed out gas and new fuel filter i only put one filter back on which is the one before the pump. Ran good for a few days now you have to constantly choke it to keep it running and it is even worse on hills. The fuel filter is full and looks clean. Any suggestions would be great thanks.

My best guess would be a dirty carb and/or fuel pump. It had bad gas in it, so there is probably some dirt in the system; it doesn't take much. You should probably run ethanol-free gas in it, or use an additive like Stabil. I use Startron products in mine, it seems to help. Before I went to that, I found myself cleaning out the carb every Spring, as it sits all winter, perhaps yours was sitting some time before you got it, a good session with carb/choke cleaner should do wonders!

Comment

Posted earlier by irsharp1 View Post
      My best guess would be a dirty carb and/or fuel pump. It had bad gas in it, so there is probably some dirt in the system; it doesn't take much. You should probably run ethanol-free gas in it, or use an additive like Stabil. I use Startron products in mine, it seems to help. Before I went to that, I found myself cleaning out the carb every Spring, as it sits all winter, perhaps yours was sitting some time before you got it, a good session with carb/choke cleaner should do wonders!

You might wanna check, make sure the airbox is sealed and no cracks in the intake hose. CC's get real goofy when they are sucking air from the wrong places.

Comment

Posted earlier by essness View Post

You might wanna check, make sure the airbox is sealed and no cracks in the intake hose. CC's get real goofy when they are sucking air from the wrong places.
        Excellent point, sometimes they will suck in air and collapse the intake hose; effectively choking the engine out. Club Cars are bad for this, I've never liked the airbox setup, and it is a good idea to check that angle out!

Comment

Pretty much if any gas has sat in the carb for more than a few months the carb will have to be removed and cleaned. gas deteriorates rather quickly. Inside the carb the gas first turns to varnish and smells like varnish. Then the gas turns to glue, the into a thick glob of stuff plugging up the jets inside carb. The major sign is the motor will only run on choke and will cough and gag when off choke. Some times you may get away with adding fuel injection cleaner to the gas, but not if the gas has been sitting for more than about 4 months. Remove the carb, then remove the float bowl and main jet. There will likely be a brown goo in the bowl and jet. Get some fuel injection cleaner and soak the bowl and jets in the cleaner, you may need to use a fine wire to clean out the main jet. All the brown goo must be cleaned. Replace the fuel lines and filter, you will likely need to clean the fuel pump also. While you are at it install a fuel shut off valve. When storing the cart for the winter, shut off the valve and let the motor run til it dies. You will never have carb problems again. Stabilizers only slow the deterioration process. It is also a good idea to run some fuel injection cleaner every few tanks of gas. Most people are scared of carbs, but they are relative simple and easy to clean with basic tools. I make lotsa of money every year at my home cleaning carbs on boats, mowers, anything with a gas motor. Usually in an hour or less to remove and clean a carb. It takes very little crude in a carb ti cause problems. And the famous response is "It can't be the carb, it ran fine when I put it away last year". Yup its the carb.
          Updated by Larry1950; July 17, 2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
          X