stops after 5 or 10 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stops after 5 or 10 minutes

95 clubcar runs for a short time then it suddenly stops and just only turns over the motor but nothing else happens....Only thing noticed is first of two fuel filters is empty. Overheating or fuel issue.....

sounds like the vacume hose that works the fuel pump is blocked, pull it off the pump, and blow into it, will hear the oil go back into the crank case, this usually happens if the crank case is to full of oil.

Comment

Tried it. No apparent oil or bubbling sound. Quite odd. The only conclusion I can think of is loss of spark. Will keep plugging away

Yep. No spark at all now. The motor still turns over and gas is present.

I am going to check all wiring though. Cart was formerly owned by a teenager and not sure all wires are where they should be since when it did run it never seemed to charge the battery.

Will now call it intermittent spark. It runs and then stops producing spark. It sits for an hour or a day and suddenly it runs again, but always for only a short time(under 10 minutes usually).........

Also I unhooked the rpm limiter ground several years ago.
      Updated by dirkvs; June 25, 2012, 01:11 PM.

Comment

The plot thickens...no gas and no spark. Cart runs fine for several minutes then stalls and only the motor tuns over. Gas filters empty and no spark

let it sit for several hours and off it goes for another few minute spin
        Updated by dirkvs; July 1, 2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

My club car is a '91 and I have the same exact problem and have narrowed down to fuel delivery from the fuel tank. If you get fuel back in the filters by blowing air in the tank (or let the fuel refill the filter through time as you have described which works for me too) to put pressure in the system it will fill the fuel filter and the cart will run again. I've reached the conclusion there is not enough vacuum at the fuel pump to push fuel to the carb. All fuel lines and vacuum lines have been checked for tightness, cleanness, and are still in good shape. I am looking into a low pressure electric fuel pump to get fuel back to the carb. I figure the loss in vacuum is due to old age from the engine and is not worth rebuilding. I would love to get an official diagnosis!

Comment

We have a 2001 DS gas that did the same thing you describe, run and then quit for no apparent reason........ we ended up replacing switches, coils, etc. When we replaced the rev limiter, never had that problem again.

Comment

I had about the same problem wwith my columbia. I can give you three tests to take, if you are interested let me know with a post here and Ill give them to you, they are a lot to describe. It worked for me.

Comment

Would be very interested. Thanks

Comment

Sorry this took so long,I had to get a new monitor for my computer. You will need an inline spark plug tester and a digital multi meeter.. Put the plug tester between the coil and the spark plug. Start the motor, run it till it quits keep the gas pedal down even though the motor is not running keep the enginecranking. If the tester is flashing,and the motor is not starting, its probably a fuel problem. If the tester is not flashing its an electrical problem. If that is the case now is the time for the multimeter. Key off check the battery, should read about 12v + -. Now pos side of coil to neg side of bat.
                  turn on the key, dont start it yet .
                  should read about the same voltage. with the multi still in place have someone crank the motor to start, voltage will probably go up. Run motor till it quits dont let off the pedal ceep it cranking if the voltage goes back to what it was and the plug tester is not flashing the problem is the ignition module. This was the tests that found and cured my similar problem. Let me know how you make out.

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                  X