96 club car wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 club car wont start

I have had this cart for a few weeks now and cleaned the carb to get it going after it sat for 3 years. Been running fine, then I left it out one night in the driveway and went the next morning to put it in the barn and no start. Flooded. Removed plug and checked for spark. Has spark but is not blue, more orange/yellow at tip of plug. Let it sit with plug out over the weekend and still no start. Charger on the battery just to make sure it was full. Squirt gas in carb, plug hole, still not even trying to pop. One time it backfired a loud bang from tail pipe. I'm thinking it may be a timing/spark issue but don't know what to check next, any ideas? I may have left the key on overnight but have since charged the battery. Even took the fresh air tube off of carb thinking maybe choke was stuck, cleaned plug and gave it a squirt of gas, still nothing. Spins over fine, just wont start or even act like it wants to. Help!!

http://www.golfcartsforum.com/attach...s-gas-elec.pdf

Copy/Paste the link above. use the trouble shooting section in the manual.
    Hope it helps bud !

Comment

i'd change the plug, may not be fireing under pressure, is the crankcase full of gas? is the butterfly in the carb opening when pedal pushed?

Comment

Thanks krusty!

Pistol, The butterfly was gummy when I bought it and I got it moving after removing the carb and giving it a good blast with carb cleaner. It was caked with dust and gunk. Double checked the butterfly and it is moving correctly. When I go out later I can pick up a new plug. I had the fuel line off and cranked engine over to make sure it was getting plenty of fuel and noticed the black rubber inside was deteriorating so I replaced that hose right at the carb. Ole gal wont even try to hit even with gas or carb cleaner squirted in carb or plug hole. Thats why im thinking spark issue. I will try a new plug and re-post later. Oh, the oil is full and smells like oil so I don't think gas is in oil. Thanks for the help!
        Updated by jkaup; April 2, 2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Went out and checked the compression and it had none! You could see that the piston was going up and down and if you sprayed something into cylinder it would blow it out but if you put any resistance over the plug hole it was zero. Pulled rocker cover and pushrod was off. I didn't pay attention which one it was, drivers side is all I know. Pushed down spring and slipped rod into rocker and vroom, ole blue is alive again!

Comment

glad to hear it was an easy fix. if it happens again, pull the head & clean the valve stems. if the carb was gummy the valves are bound to have some gum on them also. it will still be an easy fix. also check the valve lash to make shure their gapped rite. intake is .004 ex is .006.

Comment

YaaHooooo

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              X