Bolting down the swing arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolting down the swing arm

Anyone have any pros or cons to bolting down the rear swing arm?

Posted earlier by krustybucket View Post
    Anyone have any pros or cons to bolting down the rear swing arm?
    how do you mean?

Comment

I didn't think you had a swing arm, I thought you had a solid axle on leaf springs.
      Did someone modify the cart?

Comment

The original set up is that the engine is mounted on a swing arm configuration that allows for about a 3 inch movement up and down, gauged by a tab on the swing arm with fixed stops on the frame. There is suppose to be a rubber snubber on the tab, my snubber is gone allowing the swing arm to "BANG" up and down quite loudly when the cart is on uneven terrain. Does this make sense to anyone?

Comment

The original set up is that the engine is mounted on a swing arm configuration that allows for about a 3 inch movement up and down, gauged by a tab on the swing arm with fixed stops on the frame. There is suppose to be a rubber snubber on the tab, my snubber is gone allowing the swing arm to "BANG" up and down quite loudly when the cart is on uneven terrain. Does this make sense to anyone?
          Just replace the snubber and if your worried about it falling off then use a zip tie to hold it on. Thats what my brother in law did.

Comment

Well I could replace the snubber, but my question still stands, Could I bolt it down without any problems?

Comment

Well I could replace the snubber, but my question still stands, Could I bolt it down without any problems?
              I think thats supposed to be a flex point.With the leaf springs supporting the power frame at 4 points, its not going anywhere. Id say no to bolting it.

Comment

Just a hunch, so hear me out, The power frame was designed to float, gracefully transitioning the torque from the engine to the final drive. This action would keep the tires from spinning on initial start up or launch , Ideal for golf cart/golf course applications.After all you dont want to spill you beer by pressing the gas peddle while on the course. Old drag racers like myself call it spring wrap or axle wrap, which is what you want to avoid on the drag strip. I dont want to drag race here, my intent is to get the cart to hook up sooner. So, I will be the ginny pig and let yall know how it turns out !!

Comment

Just a hunch, so hear me out, The power frame was designed to float, gracefully transitioning the torque from the engine to the final drive. This action would keep the tires from spinning on initial start up or launch , Ideal for golf cart/golf course applications.After all you dont want to spill you beer by pressing the gas peddle while on the course. Old drag racers like myself call it spring wrap or axle wrap, which is what you want to avoid on the drag strip. I dont want to drag race here, my intent is to get the cart to hook up sooner. So, I will be the ginny pig and let yall know how it turns out !!
                  Yes then, bolt the sucker down if your trying to eliminate axle wrap.

Comment

Well alrighty then I will bolt that sucker down this weekend and report my findings.

Comment

I did some research on this and found that you could add a drop bracket to level out the motor a little and/or place a 2"x2" spacer block under the snubber.
                      Here's a photo of what I found:
                      Click to enlarge
                      Attached Files
                      Updated by dougmcp; February 3, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                        I did some research on this and found that you could add a drop bracket to level out the motor a little and/or place a 2"x2" spacer block under the snubber.
                        Here's a photo of what I found:
                        Click to enlarge
                        Hes trying to limit up and down movement altogether. I did something similar on my cart to level the engine.

Comment

Posted earlier by ak47fan View Post
                          Hes trying to limit up and down movement altogether. I did something similar on my cart to level the engine.
                          Did I mention I'm and electric guy, I guess there's a reason....
                          Starting to feel like Rodney Dangerfield.
                          Updated by dougmcp; February 3, 2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Posted earlier by dougmcp View Post
                            Did I mention I'm and electric guy, I guess there's a reason....
                            Starting to feel like Rodney Dangerfield.
                            and a damn good electric guy to.
                            Updated by ak47fan; February 3, 2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Welp, I bolted that sucker down and it was amazing. Smoother throttle response from pedal to rear tires in forward and reverse. Cannot see any drawback yet but I am cautiously watching for any negative signs.

Comment

Good to hear it's working.
                                Keep us posted as you use it to see if it causes any problems.

Comment

Will Do Coach !! Great site, amazing people. I will reccommend this forum to everyone I know with this addiction.!!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                  X