Intermittent Surge Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent Surge Problem

I've searched this site and others on the web for seveal hours and haven't found good information for my problem. If I missed it, I apologize for being redundant. Hopefully one of you experts can help diagnose our problem.

Have a 2002 Club Car gas golf cart with Kawasaki FE290D-AS17 engine, serial number AG0204-114013. Owned it for about a year with no problems. Now sometimes when it starts, it "surges" (i.e. runs OK for 1-2 seconds, then suddenly "dies" for a 1-2 seconds, then runs, then dies, etc as you press the throttle). The cart "jerks" but essentially goes no where.

Unfortunately this condition is intermittent. That is, a few hours later or the next day it runs fine, without anything having been done to it.

The problem sounded fuel related, so we removed and cleaned the carburetor. Problem persists. Did notice that when it is in the "surge mode", there is little/no gas in the carburetor. This would imply fuel pump or fuel line issue?

Appreciate any troubleshooting tips to solve this intermittent problem.

2 things that come to mind immediately. Either a bad or going fuel pump. Or Coil/Ignitor problems. The 2 will give the same symptoms.
    Regards

Comment

I will also add sticking float needle valve, less likely fuel filter, and water in tank

Comment

Thanks guys; will consider.

Matti: do you think a fuel pump/coil/ignitor would work great for hours, then "surge" the next time we start the cart?

Any tips on how to test/troubleshoot this intermittent problem?

Comment

An easy way to test the fuel pump is to disconnect the "in" pipe at the carburetor, then press the gas pedal, gas should shoot out of the hose.
          Regards

Comment

More food for thought : Vacuum Line to fuel pump could be collapsing, if its old or oil soaked on the outside, could be cracked and leaking vacuum. This could be intermittent due to weather conditions. Also fuel filter could need to be changed. Dirt will drop out when cart is setting for a few hours, then when pressure is applied, it will suck the old dirt up again and again.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I'll close this thread by saying we've tried several different things, including: cleaned the carb, replaced gas, cleaned and/or replaced hoses, replaced fuel filters, replaced gas cap (and probably a couple others that I can't recall right now). The cart is running well now. We're not sure which of these actions had the positive effect. Keeping fingers crossed for now. Thanks again for various ideas.

Comment

i have a cushman golf cart with a robin EH35 engine. this winter, it started having issues. when i go to start it, it pops back through the carb. when it finally starts, it has trouble spooling up. once it develops some RPMS, it smokes blue smoke for a few seconds. once that clears, it seems to run ok. when i let up on the accelerator, and then step on the gas again, it backfires. i have removed the carburetor and cleaned it. any ideas?

Comment

What your are describing sounds like a lean condition. First of all there are 2 intake manifold gaskets one one either side of the intake manifold, make sure they are good, a minor air leak there can cause big problems. Easy way to find out is with the motor running spray some WD40 on the intake and around the carb, If it runs better your have a air leak. Need to know how you cleaned the carb. Did you remove the jets and make sure the holes in them are clean along with the needle jet and needle and seat. Or just spray it. Another cause is improper adjustment of the the valves and or cam timing.

Comment

I have the same exact problem as the original poster, except I have confirmed that the machine is intermittently losing spark, its a 03 model with the Kawasaki engine, I cannot find any wires supplying the ignition with power, only a coil wire and a black wire going to a box mounted by the oil filter and a ground from it to the engine case, is the ignition entirely contained in the engine? How does the unit "kill" the engine? It is definitely a spark issue, I put a inline spark tester on it and can watch the spark come and go with the gas pedal held down.

Comment

sounds like the rpm limiter is kiling the spark. service manual is here http://www.golfcartsforum.com/golf-c...upplement.html page 84 and 85 explaiin the engine kill circuit. If the governor has been adjusted for more speed the rpm limiter will kill the ignition. I would advise not the disconnect this safety feature, if you do the engine could destroy itself.

The manual says for 1997 but the gas DS was unchanged and will work for the 2003.
                      Updated by wthompson; January 17, 2014, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Could be a spark issue but my guess is the fuel pick-up tube inside the fuel tank and/or the fuel valve are clogged, this happens quite often.
                        Remove the fuel line from the fuel valve on top of the fuel tank , unscrew the fuel valve , remove it and the pick-up tube from the tank , blow out with compressed air.
                        While you have the pick-up tube out take a razor blade and cut about a quarter inch off the bottom of the tube, this will get the pick-up off the bottom of the tank so it will no longer pick up any debris that may be in the tank

Comment

The rev limiter was bad, disconnected, ran good, replaced, still runs good, thank's for the help

Comment

Posted earlier by texas30cal View Post
                            The rev limiter was bad, disconnected, ran good, replaced, still runs good, thank's for the help
                            Good to hear you got it figured out!

Comment

Posted earlier by texas30cal View Post
                              I have a 2004 CC 272 Carryall with the 400cc Kawasaki engine. I have the same surge problem, however, it often occurs while running fine in addition to occurring when starting. How do you "disconnect" the RPM Limiter, I thought it was part of the ignition circuit and the engine would not run without it. I want to try that as the "surge" is very "rhythmic" like something electrical "opening and closing". Thanks

Comment

rev limiter is attached to engine near the oil filter housing, disconnect the wire under the bolt that holds rev limiter on. tape off ring terminal with electrical tape. As stated above the engine will destroy itself if left disconnected.!!!

Comment

Thanks, I will give that a try tomorrow! I will let you know the results!

Comment

Disconnecting the Rev Limiter cured the problem! Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                    X