Forum Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1996 Club Car - No spark

Collapse
This is a sticky topic. Sticky topics are carefully selected for their exceptional quality and relevance. These topics stand out for providing valuable insights, comprehensive information, and expert guidance on the subject matter. When you see this message, you're accessing top tier content that has been curated to deliver the most relevant and insightful information available.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 Club Car - No spark

First of all, this is my 1st time on this or any forum. I was asked by a friend of mine to try and repair this no spark problem (he's owned cart for over 5 years and has been running fine). He replaced ignition coil with ignitor built in and still no spark, hence I get the cart. To make a long story short, Serial # AG9636 (1996 right)? However, engine turns over CCW on clutch side and the book says that this cart is supposed to have an external ignitor (located under the rev limiter) well, it does not. Sooooo..... Serial # says 1996, coil/ignitor says 1997 or newer. I have removed ground wire from rev limiter (No spark). Can someone tell me if the spade terminal on ignition coil is supposed to have voltage supplied to it? I followed white wire with black tracer through micro switch (checked out ok) and to the ignition switch. There is no voltage at igniton switch wire (White with black tracer when turned on and cranking over). Any other ideas? This vehicle has an oil warning light and it will light when grounding wire at sensor, otherwise no light will come on when cranking or switch on. Please advise. I have automotive experience, but 1st time ever looking at a club car.

Welcome to the forum gjagnew!
    I'm an electric cart guy but Matti and others have experience with your gas cart, hang on for awhile and someone will post up a solution or things to check.
    Updated by dougmcp; August 3, 2011, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I'll hang in there.

Comment

Hello gjagnew.

You have a 96. Ok they changed engines in 96.5. So you must have a built in ignitor. First, replace the spark plug for a brand new one. To rule out the keyswitch and the grounds (fr switch and microswitch), unplug the black and white wire near the dipstick. Still no spark, the only ground left is the rev limiter. To deactivate the rev limiter ground, follow the wire which bolts down by the oil drain plug in front of the engine.

If still no spark, you have a faulty coil/ignitor. Match up wires according to a wiring diagram.
        Regards

Comment

Thanks for getting back with me Matti! I have tried all of the above. I'm starting to feel like a dog chasing his tail. I'm with you, I'm starting to believe that I have a faulty new coil/ignitor assembly. I've already corresponded with the parts place that my friend bought the part from and they say they can't refund money since the part has already been installed. I've been working with their (?) technical support, but am not getting much help there. I think he (the tech guy) is starting to think bad coil also. Either way, thanks for the help up to this point. I'm going to triple check all again. Oh, I forgot to tell you. Last night I checked the micro switch again at the double white w/black tracer wire and it is bad (no detent or click to it). I thought great, however I jumpered the two wires to eliminate the switch, but still no spark. Again, I'll check everything out again and let you know. Thanks!

Comment

Yep Id like to know the conclusion
            Regards

Comment

possibly a bad micro switch

Comment

OK. I received my new coil/ignitor and microswitch last evening and I'm delivering the cart 1st thing this morning. Hurray! You guys were right! The new/old coil was bad. I replaced coil (set air gap) and got an instant spark/start. After that I replaced the bad micro switch and all is well. I took a few victory laps around neighborhood with wife and life is good today. Now, on to something else. Thanks for this forum and your help. Both are much appreciated.

Comment

Glad to hear you got it running again gjagnew, congrats on the fix!
                  Thanks for following up and posting the results so others may learn.
                  Nice call on the troubleshooting Matti!
                  Updated by dougmcp; August 11, 2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

You're welcome, always a pleasure . Thanks for keeping us updated!
                    Regards

Comment

you know some times instead of replacing all that i get an ignator for a john deer on ebay for 12.00 and it solves the problum

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      X