1994 Engine conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Engine conversion

New to the forum, I just bought a 1994 gas club car and the kawasaki is dead, so the guy who sold it to me had bought a harbor freight 13 hp engine with a 1" shaft. I don't have either clutch as well. My idea is to buy a set of comet driven clutch/drive clutch rated for a motor that size. I plan to call and talk with go cart supply out of keithville LA tomorrow as they sell quite a few of these. One immediate question that I see is the stock setup had a fairly large alternater/generator and I don't know if I'll need to mount the generator on the new engine or let it's stator do the work. Not sure why club car had such a big generator on this machine??? any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello, welcome here!

the SG is so large because it is almost constantly used. On your new engine, you will have to decide weather you are going to have the engine turn on and off with the pedal, or just start it up and have it idle. I am not sure about the engine you are purchasing, but see if it already has a built in generator under the flywheel. It may even have a spot to put a small starter.

Anyway, the job will require custom fab, a K frame for the engine and a way to connect the harness. You will have to custom make the throttle linkage and make sure that the engine spins with the transmission and gives it enough room for the belts.
    Regards

Comment

not a 100% sure but since it has a starter I think it will have a stator/generator underneath the flywheel to charge a battery for the starter. I think I understand your answer about the generator, its actually a starter/generator combo? I understand that in its original format the motor only cranked when you pushed the gas pedal thus your answer about it working so much. I plan to just have a key start and turn it off when I want to. I'm just using around the house/land. I talked with the tech/salesman at Go cart supply in Keithsville LA which happens to be about 90 miles from my house and he said the 40 series torque converter clutch should work fine. I'll study that a little more. There is a set on ebay today from a "1980's" gas club car the engine/clutch system looks the same as the pics I've been able to find on you tube etc. http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-CLUB-CAR-G...item4840e3085f Do you think this would fit? I've heard the Kawasaki golf cart engines have a tapered shaft and if that is true the clutch wouldn't work on the straight shaft harbor freight engine(honda clone)

Comment

Yes it is a starter generator combo. If you are purchasing a honda clone, for lawn mowers and mini bikes, they usually have a small generator under the flywheel to recharge the battery and power some headlights.

The key switch would be the best way to go. I am not sure about the clutches as I have not had to pull one in that year. You will have to get a diagram of the engine at your dealer to see if the crank is tapered at the end. Every motor even kawasakis are different. Maybe look up a crank shaft for that year engine and if you can tell by the picture if it has a tapered end shaft.

Posted earlier by billyclayalexander View Post
        not a 100% sure but since it has a starter I think it will have a stator/generator underneath the flywheel to charge a battery for the starter. I think I understand your answer about the generator, its actually a starter/generator combo? I understand that in its original format the motor only cranked when you pushed the gas pedal thus your answer about it working so much. I plan to just have a key start and turn it off when I want to. I'm just using around the house/land. I talked with the tech/salesman at Go cart supply in Keithsville LA which happens to be about 90 miles from my house and he said the 40 series torque converter clutch should work fine. I'll study that a little more. There is a set on ebay today from a "1980's" gas club car the engine/clutch system looks the same as the pics I've been able to find on you tube etc. http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-CLUB-CAR-G...item4840e3085f Do you think this would fit? I've heard the Kawasaki golf cart engines have a tapered shaft and if that is true the clutch wouldn't work on the straight shaft harbor freight engine(honda clone)
        Regards

Comment

I actually looked at the kawasaki carcus tonight and it does have a tapered shaft so the club car clutches are a no go.

Comment

yep, that is going to be a tough one to pull off. There are places that sell honda conversions, maybe see what kind of clutch kits those use?
            Regards

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            X