290cc Rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 290cc Rebuilt

The 290cc in the 1992 CC was smoking so bad that I had to rebuild.

I put back in - charged the battery and pu in oil. I turned the starter engine by hand, but now when I get on the gas pedal to start The starter wont turn over?

Any ideas where to start?

JPJMUSTANG

1992 Club Car
    290cc Engine

1. Check for loose or broken wires in the starter/gen system.
    2. Check fuse.
    3. Check the neutral lock out switch and cam.
    One more thing, here is the wiring diagram for your cart so you can trace the wiring: http://www.golfcartsforum.com/attach...ng_diagram.gif
    Updated by dougmcp; June 3, 2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Ill look at it tomorrow night

JPJMUStang

JPJMUSTANG

1992 Club Car
      290cc Engine

Comment

fuse good

Cam seems ok

Ill work on the wires tomorrow

JPJMUSTANG

1992 Club Car
        290cc Engine

Comment

If you look at the wiring diagram you will see there is not much to check so it should go pretty smooth.
          Did the starter work well before you tore the motor down?

Comment

Defiantly a wiring problem, you crossed something over or put something in the wrong spot. I hope when you did the rebuild you did the whole kit and caboodle, mainly the rings, valve seals and all gaskets new.
            Regards

Comment

Sorry I didnt get back earlier. Got called out of town.

Yes, I did the whole thing on the engine. The only "odd" ball thing was getting the "puller bolt" to get off the pully-set. Put in new valves, gaskets, rings and seals.

I went into sticker shock when I saw what the rebuilds were getting on line. I get all the parts sent from Bakers Supply for about $130.

Would love to see it run again. I going to try to get to it tonight. My wife has me putting windows in the house.

The starter worked before I pulled the engine. Im sure its something simple - I just need to run through the wirirng dia one step at a time.

JPJMUSTANG

1992 Club Car
              290cc Engine

Comment

Great, good luck with it and keep us updated
                Regards

Comment

Next Steps - Elec ok - gas in oil

Re-traced all the wires - pulled all the connections apart and cleaned. Put Back together and I got it to turn over and Got Spark (didnt have before).

BUT. I couldnt get it to fire and run. Tried Starter fluid - no luck. The I checked the oil on a whim and I have gas in the oil. The only place I see that it can be coming from is the line from the fuel pump to the case.

I drained the case and opened up the fuel pump. I cant see anything wrong.

I guess its just best to order a fule pump for $60.

Any thoughts?
                  Updated by jpjmustang; June 16, 2011, 09:23 PM.
                  JPJMUSTANG

1992 Club Car
                  290cc Engine

Comment

Posted earlier by jpjmustang View Post
                    Re-traced all the wires - pulled all the connections apart and cleaned. Put Back together and I got it to turn over and Got Spark (didnt have before).

BUT. I couldnt get it to fire and run. Tried Starter fluid - no luck. The I checked the oil on a whim and I have gas in the oil. The only place I see that it can be coming from is the line from the fuel pump to the case.

I drained the case and opened up the fuel pump. I cant see anything wrong.

I guess its just best to order a fule pump for $60.

Any thoughts?
                    Check for compression! You need at least 100PSI. If it did not fire with starting fluid than that means it is not a fuel problem!
                    Regards

Comment

Found gas in the oil - Changed the fuel pump

WE ARE UP AND RUNNING !!!!!!!

thanks to all who helped in theis project!

JPJMUSTANG

1992 Club Car
                      290cc Engine

Comment

Awesome, glad you got her all fixed up
                        Regards

Comment

Congrats on the fix!
                          Thanks for posting the repair so others may learn from it.
                          Updated by dougmcp; June 29, 2011, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Glad you got her running. I'm doing a 94 honda clone conversion or at least starting it. Could you shoot and post some close ups of your engine as it sits in its pan/mount? Mine had a dead motor that had been removed and my pan has a foam type material covering the pan. The pan itself seems to be to thin of a material to offer a substantial mount for a motor. I do see the back two bolts go thru the pan and mount to beefier steel tabs that come off the frame. I'm trying to decide if I just chunk the pan and use thick steel plates bolted onto the old frame tabs or put these same steel plates underneath the pan and bolt the engine to the plates with it sitting on this foam type insulating material. Also trying to decide if I use the rubber motor mounts or not, a close up of the rubber motor mounts would be nice too if you could

Thanks

Billy Alexander

Comment

Show More Comments

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            X